Android OS vs iOS
Embed Size (px)
Who will the battle for the heart of the consumer? John LeMasney and I presented to a general audience at the Princeton Public Library.
Transcript of Android OS vs iOS
- 1. Hail to the Victor!
- 2. Ecosystem Devices server a purpose - entertain, inform, get stuff done Music, Movies, TV Shows, eBooks and App stores Wide selection of quality content Competitive prices International availability Interoperable on a users devices Game Center
- 3. How available is the content?
- 4. Googles lack of international content offerings still hurt them in terms of the overall value proposition of their platform ~ Rene Ritchie
- 5. PC-free set up, back up, and restore features iCloud Mail, Contacts, and Calendar sync across all devices - iPad, Mac, iPhone iTunes in the Cloud for apps, books, music, movies, and TV shows Documents in the Cloud Photo Stream Find my iPhone Find my Friends iMessage free SMS between iOS devices
- 6. Siri Canadian (English/French), Spanish (Spain/Mexico/US), Italian, Swiss (German/French/Italian), Korean, Mandarin (Mainland China/Taiwan), Cantonese (Hong Kong/Mainland China) Restaurant reservations Apple has partnered with Yelp! and OpenTable (wheres the nearest library) Movies listing ("what G-rated movies are playing nearby)
- 7. AirPlay Stream standard H.264 720p and 1080p video Stream MPEG-4 video From Mac, iPad, iPhone to Apple TV .M4V, .MP4, .MOV file formats
- 8. Open? IS NOT A FEATURE! Locked bootloaders Non-removable apps Delayed upgrades/patches
- 9. NFC vs Passbook NFC requires retailers to retrofit or replace POS systems with new units NFC is codes are transmitted in the clear Passbook is NOT a transaction system Passbook work today with retailers I already use Target, Walmart, Starbucks, Fandango etc.
- 10. Privacy Apple iPhone, iPads, iPods Macs Apple TV Google Advertising YOU!
- 11. Developers like to get paid Android platform users prefer FREE (as in FREE beer) 2/3 of Android users have never bought apps. iOS users are willing to pay for quality apps Corporations find it easier to develop to a standard iOS has become that standard
- 12. Jon Lech Johansen, the developer of DoubleTwist, a desktop Mac and Windows app that provides Android with a third party option for media sync and desktop Android Market access resembling Apples iTunes, complained about "Googles mismanagement of the Android Market," noting that "one should not need a PhD in Computer Science to use a smartphone ," and that "Google does far too little curation of the Android Market."
- 13. Top Paid Apps
- 14. Top Paid Apps
- 15. Security App Stores The Mall at Short Hills vs Bazaar Buyer beware Permissions - which version of angry birds is the right one? Screen shot of permissions
- 16. The real problem with Android security though isnt malware that requires a fools active co-operation. No, the true trouble is that Google still doesnt do anything like enough checking of a before it lets them go on the Google Play Store. This is one thing that Apple does do better with its app store than Google does. ~ Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols (ZDNet, October 2012)
- 17. Android Market = malware factory
- 18. Android OS adoption October 1, 2012
- 19. Patching/Upgrades Apple Sole responsibility. One patch targets all devices. 61% of all iOS devices updated. Android OS Finger pointing. Google creates patch/upgrade. Then maybe device manufacturer creates a patch for their devices. Then maybe cellular provider distributes patch. Or maybe they force you to buy a new phone.
- 20. Which is the real app?
- 21. Android OS adoption October 2012
- 22. firstname.lastname@example.org khurt.com 609.964.1226 Slides and notes available at: