Blog acrostic poems powerpoint grade 7
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Blog acrostic poems powerpoint grade 7
- 1. Acrostic Poems
2. What is an Acrostic Poem? 3.
- A poem (or other form of writing) in which the first letter, syllable or word of each line, paragraph or other recurring feature in the text spells out a word or a message.
- As a form of constrained writing, an acrostic can be used as a mnemonic device to aid memory retrieval.
- An acrostic poem is a cryptographic form in which the initial letter of each line spells out a word, often the subject of the poem or the name of the person to whom the poem is dedicated.
- For our activity, we will focus on a Subject
6. History Of Acrostic Poems
- the first known acrostics date back to ancient times: the name acrostic was first used to describe ancient prophecies
- they were written on leaves arranged so that the first letter on each leaf formed a word.
- involves brainstorming of ideas which is key to the creative writing process
- creates connections with oneself to the writing process
- employs theuse of spoken, written, and visual language (e.g., conventions, style, vocabulary) to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences and for different purposes.
- evokes knowledge of language structure, language conventions (e.g., spelling and punctuation), media techniques and figurative language.
- can employ the use of a variety of technological and information resources (e.g., libraries, databases, computer networks, video) to gather and synthesize information and to create and communicate knowledge.
- An acrostic poem uses the letters in a topic word to begin each line.
- All lines of the poem should relate to or describe the topic word.
- S hines brightly
- U p in the sky
- N ice and warm on my skin
- Can be used to incorporate other subjects, including research, science/social studies and novel study, including identifying characters of a story and their character traits (within an acrostic poem).
11. What are the two ways to do an Acrostic Poem? 12.
- Write a sentence that begins with each letter of the subject.
- Working independently, develop an Acrostic Poem using our BIG IDEA as a guide :
- How can learning about other people around the world help us become more empathetic and grateful as Canadians?
- Use the dictionary/thesaurus if you need help.
- Be creative! Use colour and/or images to make it more artistic.
14. Let s Review!
- What are the two different types of Acrostic Poems?
- Give one example of a characteristic of an Acrostic Poem