University Recruiting Essentials: Interns and Your Campus Brand - Part 2 - Interns' Work and...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of University Recruiting Essentials: Interns and Your Campus Brand - Part 2 - Interns' Work and...
- 1. University Recruiting Essentials: Interns and Your Campus Brand Part 2 Interns Work and Experience AfterCollege Inc. 98 Battery Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94111 PHONE: 877-725-7721 FAX: 415-263-1307 www.aftercollege.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2. Interns and Campus Brand University Recruiting Overview Internships Overview Showcasing Interns Work Learning from Their Experience On-Campus Integration Campus Ambassadors Measuring Return on Investment (ROI) www.aftercollege.com 2
- 3. Interns and Campus Brand -This is the second of three presentations on Interns and Campus Brand -This presentation will cover: Showcasing Interns Work Learning from Their Experience www.aftercollege.com 3
- 4. Showcase Interns Work www.aftercollege.com 4 -It doesnt matter if you have two interns or two hundred learn to leverage the activities of your university recruiting program in order to get the most brand mileage from your interns experience. -You should be leveraging the work your interns are doing both WHILE they are in their internships and AFTER they complete their internships both are relevant. -The next couple of slides will provide you with some real-world examples -The vast majority of the examples that will be shown can be found through a simple internet search however, if you would like me to send you a specific link, just reply to email@example.com and I would be happy to share links
- 5. www.aftercollege.com 5 strykerinterns.wordpress.com Blogs Here is an example of the Stryker Interns Blog -This blog focuses on different experiences of the interns -Majority of content is written by interns describing their experiences -Can be used internally to gain support for the internship program and teams that may be interested in having an intern next year -Can also be used externally can be the focus of a targeted email campaign to similar students to show them real-life examples of interns experiences
- 6. www.aftercollege.com 6 pninterns.com -Porter Novelli does a great job incorporating content about what it is like to intern there, as well as interning in a Public Relations agency
- 7. The Power of a Student Blog Post www.aftercollege.com 7
- 8. www.aftercollege.com 8 david-hu.com -Here is David Hus blog post about his experience as an intern at Khan Academy -David created a YouTube video which has over 20,000 hits -David was very creative with his video and blog post -More from this blog post on the next couple slides
- 9. www.aftercollege.com 9 david-hu.com -David shows screen shots of his work examples -There is text to support each image for our purpose we are only seeing the image
- 10. www.aftercollege.com 10 david-hu.com -If you know anything about Khan Academy or have watched the founders TED talk, you will know they are all about mathematical doodling! -Davids internship focused on machine learning he shows how what he was learning spawned other things
- 11. www.aftercollege.com 11 david-hu.com -David ends his blog post with a plug for doing an internship at the Khan Academy -David even gives the place you can go to find out how to apply
- 12. www.aftercollege.com 12 david-hu.com -Here is another intern blog post from the Khan Academy internship Jamie Wong -Jamie Wongs blog post made it to the front page of Hacker News attracted 12,000 visitors over 2 days -Another students blog post on a co-op project was viewed by more than 20,000 visitors the day it was posted as a result the student received multiple employment offers
- 13. Employer Websites www.aftercollege.com 13
- 14. www.aftercollege.com 14 -Employer Websites can be used to show real-life examples -Show intern experiences to inform and encourage other students to apply
- 15. www.aftercollege.com 15 -Here Northwestern Mutual focuses on the leaders from their internship program -This type of publication makes the students feel good -Can be sent to different publications on campus or virtually to showcase the students but also to brand in front of other students
- 16. www.aftercollege.com 16 -Oracle special section on website that talks about the interns profile -It exemplifies where they went to school, what type of internship they did, and how they felt their experience was -They also include a link to apply from that page
- 17. www.aftercollege.com 17 We know Disney specializes in telling stories their internships site is no different!
- 18. www.aftercollege.com 18 -This is another example of the Disney Internship experience -Disney includes intern testimonials on their website highlighting what the interns enjoyed about their internship
- 19. www.aftercollege.com 19 -SanDisk does a great job of incorporating a video into their website -The video features someone from their Communications team who explains how her internship there led her to her current career path
- 20. www.aftercollege.com 20 Google has an entire YouTube channel of videos about what it is like to be an intern at Google each video links to the internship opportunity
- 21. www.aftercollege.com 21 -Make sure you are getting the word out about your interns! -The example here is a student newspaper at the University of Florida it is an expos on her internship at the White House -Anywhere you have an internship story published, you can then use that information to attract more similar students to learn about your brand
- 22. Learn from Their Experience www.aftercollege.com 22 -Make sure you identify a clear and coordinated process for learning from interns -Check-ins with managers -Coordinated exit interview include evaluation process -Take the interns positive experiences and leverage them to engage even more interns
- 23. www.aftercollege.com 23 Marketing Materials -Test out your marketing materials on your interns ask for their feedback -What were the things that attracted them to come and intern at your company? -Now that they are there what are the things that they wish they had known beforehand?
- 24. www.aftercollege.com 24 Practice the Pitch -Practice what you say at your career fair booth with your interns -How does it resonate? -What arent you saying that you should? -What are the types of things that would attract them to a career fair booth? -Learn from them!
- 25. www.aftercollege.com 25 [A common mistake is] Overestimating the impact of marketing materials. Ultimately its what students tell each other, not what a website or a brochure or commercially produced product might imply. -Mary Scott, President of Scott Resource Group
- 26. Interns and Campus Brand -Continue to the third and final presentation on Interns and Campus Brand to learn about: Part 3 - Campus Involvement and ROI: -On-Campus Integration -Campus Ambassadors -Measuring Return on Investment (ROI) www.aftercollege.com 26
- 27. Insert Image of Events Page www.aftercollege.com 27 -Subscribe to the AfterCollege Employer Blog for more information on University Recruiting http://employer.aftercollege.com/
- 28. Visit AfterCollege -Visit the AfterCollege Products and Services page to see how AfterCollege can help enhance your University Recruiting program -Sign up for Free Employer Webinar Series for tips and tricks on building and improving your University Recruiting program -Follow us on Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn -Visit the AfterCollege LinkedIn University Recruiters Page to discuss University Recruiting with other industry professionals www.aftercollege.com 28
- 29. Jennifer Rutt Senior Director of Engagement firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @JenRutt www.aftercollege.com 29