Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Mochar Chop
7/28/2019 Mochar Chop
Mochar chop banana blossom appetizer
What to remove from the banana blossoms:
Beneath every bracts lies the ordered rows of yellow-tipped small florets, which looks highly appealing. Remove the
pinkish inedible hard fibre like small petals or casing at the stem base and the hard stigma from each florets as shown
in the photo.
The innermost conical part: While doing so a stage will be reached when it is no longer possible to peel off the
blossoms, chop off the innermost conical part and use it in your recipe or make fritters with it as I did here.
To remove the bitterness of mocha:
Boil the mocha or banana blossom in water which has a healthy volume of lemon juice or tamarind extract in it. Most
of the chefs boil it in diluted milk to make it more soft (as told to me by one of the budding professional chef)
Flower of Banana (or Mocha): One
Potatoes (mashed): 3 big sizedGreen chilies (chopped):4-5
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Scraped Coconut and peanuts: 1/2 cup
Cumin powder: 1 tsp
Garam masala: 1 tsp
Sugar : 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
A mix of cornflour and breadcrumbs: 1/2 cup
Oil for deep-frying
Method to Prepare:
Collect the florets of the flower, tear out the middle stem (stigma) of the florets and finely chopped the florets in
batches. Boil the florets in water with lemon juice or tamarind extract or try it with milk for 10 minutes. Strain the
florets in a strainer and discard the water, squeeze extra water out of it by hard pressing, it will become pulpy. Keep
it aside. Heat some oil in a pan and temper it with cumin seeds. Add the chopped mocha or banana florets and saute
for sometime. Next add the peanuts or grated coconut along with cumin powder, garam masala, ginger, salt and
sugar to taste. Lightly stir fry for few more minutes and remove from the heat. Mashed thoroughly the potatoes and
mix it with salt and finely chopped green chillies. Divide it into six portions, flatten them like patties and give a bowl
Filled the bowl of mashed potatoes with stir fried mocha or banana blossom in the centre and wrap it along so that
the mocha is well secured inside it . Give them your desired shapes and dust each of the mocharchop / cutlet with
cornflour and breadcrumbs mix, deep fry them in sufficient oil till they become golden brown in color. Serve the
hot mocharchop / banana blossom appetizer with kasundi (Bengali mustard sauce) or any sauce of your choice.
Few things to note while extracting the banana blossoms:http://saffronstreaks.com/recipes/mochar-chop-banana-blossom-appetizer/http://saffronstreaks.com/recipes/mochar-chop-banana-blossom-appetizer/http://saffronstreaks.com/recipes/mochar-chop-banana-blossom-appetizer/http://saffronstreaks.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/mochar-pakora-banana-blossom-fritters/http://saffronstreaks.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/mochar-pakora-banana-blossom-fritters/http://saffronstreaks.com/recipes/mochar-chop-banana-blossom-appetizer/
7/28/2019 Mochar Chop
Oil your palms well, specially the finger tips and nails, otherwise the sap or juicy extract from the blossoms
will blacken the fingers , the black marks will eventually disappear in 2-3 days.
Oil the knife too if you are chopping the florets for the same reason stated above.
After removing the florets, directly put them in a bowl of water as they are quick to oxidize.
Mangsho ghugni / Mutton keema curry with peas
1/2 kg Minced meat (keema), washed thoroughly in a steamer by keeping a large bowl underneath and later
squeeze out the excess water.
2 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Red chilly powder
2 tsp Green chilly paste
2 tbsp Mustard oil
For the gravy:
3 big Onions, finely chopped
6-7 Garlic pods, finely chopped
2 tsp Ginger paste
2 ripe Tomatoes
1 tsp Kashmiri red chilly powder
1 cup Green peas, shelled
2-3 Bay leaves
2 cups Water(approximately)
1/4 cup fresh Coriander leaves, chopped 1/2 cup Mustard oil (to bring out the best taste in this dish use mustard oil, else use vegetable oil)
Home made Garam Masala for this mutton curry:
1 inch cinnamon stick, 2 green cardamom, 1 black cardamom, 2-3 cloves and pinch of nutmeg powder. Grind
all these spices in a coffee grinder into a powder. Keep aside for later use.
1. Heat mustard oil in a pressure cooker, wait till it reaches smoking point and add bay leaves, garlic and saute
for few seconds. Immediately add onions and fry till transparent.
2. Add minced meat and cook on high flame by stirring occasionally. Fry till the excess water goes off.3. Add red chilly powder and continue frying the meat. Add chopped tomatoes and simmer meat over medium
flame until it leaves oil.
4. Add ginger paste and cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Heat water in a microwave bowl and pour in the pressure cooker. Adjust salt and close the lid.
6. Let the first whistle come on high flame, then on low flame cook until 3 whistles. Switch off the burner and let
the steam pass. Then open the lid of the cooker and add green peas, garam masala and fresh coriander leaves
and cook for another 10 minutes.
7/28/2019 Mochar Chop
7. Tastes best with Tikona Paratha/ Roti/Butter Naan/Ghee Rice and a colorful salad.
Calcutta Mutton Chaap
8 : Rib chops (mutton lamb or goat. I have used goat here)
3 tbsp : Raw Papaya (grated)
cup : Yogurt
1 tbsp : Ginger garlic paste
1 tsp : Garam masala (check the note)
1 tsp : Red chilliCurry / sauce / gravy -
1 : Red onion (sliced)
1 tbsp : Minced ginger and garlic
3-4 : Green chillies
1 tsp : Garam masala
1 tsp : Cumin powder
1 tsp : Red chilli powder tsp : Turmeric powder
2 tbsp : Chickpea flour
2 tbsp : Almond paste
2 tbsp : Melon seed (charmagaz) paste
2-3 tbsp : Ghee
Few threads of Saffron soaked in warm water
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
One or two Bay Leaf
Few drops of kewra water (Screwpine essence)
Few drops of Rose water
Preparing the meat :
1. Wash and cut the ribs into half. With a meat tenderiser, beat the meat to make it more tender. But do notover do it. If you do not have the meat mallet then you can use the back of your steel spoon too. But thisstep is important and this ensures the even cooking of meat and it will be able to absorb all the flavoursand spices.
1. Mix the marinade in a bowl, apply the marinade generously over the ribs and refrigerate it for at least 3-4 hours. I wrap it with a cling film and refrigerate overnight.
2. Bring the ribs / chaap to room temperature and sprinkle some salt over it. You will find that the ribsabsorb all the marinades.
1. In a flat fry pan, add one teaspoon of ghee and heat it. Fry the sliced onions till it becomes translucent,also add the green chillies, minced ginger and garlic. Do not brown it. Cool it and make a paste in themixer.
2. In the same pan, add another tablespoon of ghee, warm it and slowly add the rib chops along with themarinade (which clinges to the rib chops )
3. Braise (bhuno) it on high flame for 5 minutes.4. Add the Onion, ginger-garlic paste now and keep braising it on medium flame. Add the chickpea flour
too.5. Next add the spices (garam masala and make a paste of turmeric powder, cumin powder and red chilli
powder) and keep braising on medium flame.
7/28/2019 Mochar Chop
6. Sprinkle salt over it and few dashes of sugar. It will add nice caramel color to the meat. By this timemeat should leave enough fat. If it is not, then add few drops of ghee.
7. Once you are satisfied with the color of the meat and braising (bhuno) is done, check the seasonings andadd the almond and melon seed paste.
8. Mix it well. Stir in the saffron water, bay leaves, Kewra water, rose water, cover the pan tightly andsimmer the chaap on low heat till done.
9. Once it is cooked, remove the bay leafs and close the lid for sometime before serving.
10. Serve the mutton chaap with rumali roti or saffron rice or with mughlai biryani.
Garam masala few shah mirch (white pepper) + tsp shah jeera (caraway seed) + few black pepper + 1 mace(jayitri) + tsp coarsely pounded nutmeg (jayphal) + one black cardamom + one inch cinnamon sticks + one staranise (phool chakra) Information regarding caraway seeds / shah jeera on wikipedia is incorrect.
koraishutir kochuri and aloo dum OCTOBER 13, 2010POSTED IN:> APPETIZERS & SNACKS,RECIPES
...durga puja special recipes
Maha Shasti temochar chop, koraishut i r kochu r i ar aloo dum
On a winter morning when the mist still lingers in the sky and the sun is playing hide and seek, you sniff somethingfresh, sweet and spicy in the air coming straight out of your kitchenyes you can not be wrong ! Its koraishutirkochuri for the breakfastyummmand certainly if you see someone buying lots of green peas in a winter morning bazar then definitely koraishutirkochuri is on the menu today.
Yes winter is the season when these small well-rounded green beauties peeks from their pods and their fresh, softtexture and sweetness made everybody crazy about them. Just grease the freshly picked soft-shelled green peaswith a dollop of butter and seasoned with sal