Cade Prize keynote
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Cade Prize keynote
- 1. The Future of Gainesville = Innovation
2. The world is changing 17/30 27/30 351,537 329,767 137,437 06/10/10 3.3B 1.8B 1957 1 MB = $411,041,792.00 2009 1 MB = $.011 2 GB = $44.99 + free shipping 2 GB @ 1957 = $841,813,590,016 1,000,000,0000 3. UF Homecoming 1930 4. UF Homecoming 2009 5. Change is Inevitable 6. A question and a challenge 7. What makes Gainesville special? 8. Good to Great 9. The Challenge: How do we leverage Gainesvilles assets to compete successfully in the global economy? 10. The Worlds Most Innovative Cities:
- A high concentration of residents working in knowledge jobs.
- Solid innovation infrastructure that fosters technological innovation.
- Local companies geared toward global markets.
- High value-added, technologically advanced manufacturing sectors.
- Institutions and residents embrace the digital economy.
- At the front of the information technology and Internet Revolutions.
- Above-average levels of entrepreneurship.
- 39%of our population holds bachelor degrees or higher.
- 1,854engineering degrees were awarded in 2007.
- GTEC has generated$57,600,000in grants and funding.
- Sid Martin Biotechnology Development Institute has generated $ 450,000,000in grants and funding.
- In2008UF received more than$560,000,000 in sponsored research funding.
How does Gainesville measure up to those requirements? 12. Greater Gainesville generated about 150 patents a year over the last five years more than 50% of them in the life sciences. 13.
- Cancer Center
- Genetics Institute
- Institute on Aging
- Emerging Pathogens Institute
- McKnight Brain Institute
- Center for Excellence in Regenerative Biotechnology
- Interdisciplinary Center for Biotechnology Research
- Powell Gene Therapy Center
- Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Institute
One of the Top 15 Research Universities in America 14. AND
- SFC Top 20 in Community CollegeLeague of Innovation
- SFC Center for Innovation and Economic Development
- SFC Perry Center for Emerging Technologies
- Gainesville Technology Enterprise Center
- Sid Martin Biotechnology Incubator
- Powell Center for Construction and Environment
- UF DOE High Temperature Electrochemistry Center
- UF Institute for Sustainable Energy Technology Incubator
- RTI Biologics
- Banyan Biomarkers
- Applied Genetic Technologies
- BioResources Management
- BioEnergy International
- Sharklet Technologies
- Streamline Numerics
- Info Tech
- Infinite Energy
- And, and, and, and, and, and, and Not to mention.
16. Florida Innovation Hub at UF 17. Cade Museum 18. In just the past 5 years Gainesville has been named:
- #1 Tech City in Florida
- #1 Overall Cities Ranked and Rated
- Top 1% of Chambers in America
- Top 10 Hotspots for Young Professionals to Work & Live
- #22 Smartest Cities in America
- #47 Best Places to Launch and Live
- Best 50 Hospitals in America: Shands at UF
- Top 50 Best Places for Business and Careers
- The 2009 Region of Excellence
19. In other words Collaboration Communication Celebration 20. Tonight we are here to celebrate
- H 2 O Life Technologies
- University of Florida
- Tutor Matching Service