Stress Management (Fr. Gimmy - guest speaker)
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Stress Management (Fr. Gimmy - guest speaker)
- 1.Stress Management
2. STRESS MANAGEMENT
- Fr. Gimmi Antony CST
- Cell : 09274884600
- Land: 4073802
- .stress is the nonspecific response of the body to any demand, whether it is caused by, or results in pleasant or unpleasant conditions.
- Hans Selye, MD
4. Salamat Po ! 5. What is Stress?
- The most commonly accepted definition of
- stress (mainly attributed to Richard S
- Lazarus) is thatstress is a condition or
- feeling experienced when a person
- perceives that demands exceed the
- personal and social resources the
- individual is able to mobilize.
6. How stressed are you?Answer these twenty questions: Yes or No.
- 1. Do you frequently neglect your diet?
- 2. Do you frequently try to do everything yourself?
- 3. Do you frequently blow up easily?
- 4. Do you frequently seek unrealistic goals?
- 5. Do you frequently fail to see the humor in situations others find funny?
- 6. Do you frequently get easily irritated?
- 7. Do you frequently make a "big deal" of everything?
- 8. Do you frequently complain that you are disorganized?
- 9. Do you frequently keep everything inside?
- 10. Do you frequently neglect exercise?
7. How stressed are you?Answer these twenty questions: Yes or No.
- 11.Do you frequently have few supportive relationships?
- 12. Do you frequently get too little rest?
- 13. Do you frequently get angry when you are kept waiting?
- 14. Do you frequently ignore stress symptoms?
- 15. Do you frequently put things off until later?
- 16. Do you frequently think there is only one right way to do something?
- 17. Do you frequently fail to build relaxation into every day?
- 18. Do you frequently spend a lot of time complaining about the past?
- 19. Do you frequently race through the day?
- 20. Do you frequently feel unable to cope with all you have to do.
8. How stressed are you?
- Scores of 1-6 Few Hassles
- Scores of 7-12 Pretty Good Control
- Scores of 13-17 Danger Zone. Watch out!
- Scores of 18+ Stressed Out. You may need help.
- http:// lessonsforliving.com/stress_test.htm
- Do We need
- stress in our
10. STRESS AND PERFORMANCE:THE INVERTED U SHAPED CURVE UnderstimulationZone Optimum StimulationZone OverstimulationZone High Low Lifeline Death fromlack of stress STRESS High Low
- rational problem solving
- irrational problem solving
- low self esteem
PERFROMANCE Death fromstress 11. UNDERSTANDING YOUR STRESSORS
- EXTERNAL STRESSORS
- Physical Environment
- Social Interaction
- Major Life Events
- Daily Hassles
13. PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT
- Bright Lights
- Confined Spaces
14. SOCIAL INTERACTION
- Aggressiveness by others
You look like monkey! 15. ORGANIZATIONAL
- Red - Tape
16. MAJOR LIFE EVENTS
- Lost job
- Marital status change
17. DAILY HASSLES
- Misplaced keys
- Mechanical breakdowns
- INTERNAL STRESSORS
- Lifestyle choices
- Negative self - talk
- Mind traps
- Personality traits
19. LIFESTYLE CHOICES
- Lack of sleep
- Overloaded schedule
20. NEGATIVE SELF - TALK
- Pessimistic thinking
- Self criticism
- Over analysing
?!? Theres nothingI can do! 21. MIND TRAPS
- Unrealistic expectations
- Taking things personally
- All or nothing thinking
- Rigid thinking
22. Irrational Beliefs People are disturbed not by things, but by the view which they take of them. (Ellis Albert,2001 ) 23. UNREALISTIC ASSUMPTIONS
- Imusthave love or approval from all the significant people in life
- I must perform important tasks competently and perfectly well
- If I dont get what I want , its terrible and I cant stand it.
- That I must be competent and adequate of all the time
- That other people are bad if they do not share my values
- That I cannot control or change my feelings
- UNREALISTIC ASSUMPTIONS
- That all is lost when I get treated unfairly or experience rejection
- That the problems of the past that have influenced my life must continue to determine my feelings and behavior
- That it is easier to avoid problems than to accept them and begin working toward a solution
25. PERSONALITY TRAITS
- Type A behaviour
- Type B behaviour
By all means it should be done! 26. SYMPTOMS OF STRESS
- Physical symptoms
- Mental symptoms
- Behavioural symptoms
- Emotional symptoms
What is the trouble? 27. PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS
- Sleep pattern changes
- Digestion changes
- Loss of sexual drive
- Aches and pains
- Tingling hands & feet
- Missed heartbeats
- Eye strain
28. Short Term Physical Stress Symptoms
- Dry mouth
- Cool skin
- Cold hands and feet
- Increased sweating
- Rapid breathing
- Faster heart rate
- Tense muscles
- Feelings of nausea
- Butterflies in your stomach
- A desire to urinate
29. Long Term Physical Stress Symptoms
- Change in Appetite
- Sexual disorders
- Aches and pains
- Frequent colds
- Feelings of intense and long-term tiredness
- Prone to illness
30. MENTAL SYMPTOMS
- Lack of concentration
- Memory lapses
- Difficulty in making decisions
- Confusion; nervous; anxious
- Indecisiveness and depressed
- Trapped in details
- Self doubt
Wow! 31. EMOTIONAL SYMPTOMS
- Bouts of depression
- Fits of rage
- Deterioration of personal hygiene and appearance
- Feeling down
32. BEHAVIORAL STRESS SYMPTOMS
- Talking too fast
- Talking too loud
- Nail biting
- Grinding teeth
- Drumming fingers
- Over reacting
33. BEHAVIOR STRESS SYMPTOMS
- These symptoms will have a negative affect on your performance
- By reducing you