Gas Chromatography. Gas Chromatography Basics Gas Liquid Chromatography (GLC) Gas Solid...
Click here to load reader
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Gas Chromatography. Gas Chromatography Basics Gas Liquid Chromatography (GLC) Gas Solid...
- Slide 1
- Gas Chromatography
- Slide 2
- Gas Chromatography Basics Gas Liquid Chromatography (GLC) Gas Solid Chromatography (GSC) Mobile phase does not interact with analyte Separation occurs by interaction of analyte differentially w/liquid stationary phase and temperature GC preferred method, only applicable to volatile substances derivitiazation
- Slide 3
- Carrier Gas Supply Must be at a constant flow rate so that retention times & retention volumes may be equated Choice of detector will often Dictate the gases that are used, need to be inert Ex. FID used H2, air, and He
- Slide 4
- Injection Port Heated so sample virtually instantly turns into a vapor as sample plug goes onto column Septum Split/ SplitlessSplitSplitless Want to reproducibly get in & get out Sample focusSample focus
- Slide 5
- Flow rate Measurement Why is a known flow rate critical?
- Slide 6
- GC Columns Capillary: - have i.d.