Brilliant PR on a Startup Budget
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Brilliant PR on a Startup Budget
- INTRODUCTION BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET Courtney Boyd Myers Founder, audience.io & 3460 Miles
- INTRODUCTION Working with Fueled, Makeshift, Transferwise, SecretEscapes + Percolate Director of Audience Development at General Assembly London Member of #10s Tech City Advisory Group Writer at Wired UK, The Daily Beast & The Next Web Mentor at BBC WorldWideLabs, Seedcamp, Ignite100 Community Member of Sandbox, Summit Series & ICE COURTNEY BOYD MYERS (@CBM) FOUNDER, AUDIENCE.IO & 3460 MILES
- AGENDA Setting the Foundation Marketing 101 Defining PR Tools of the Trade Media & PR Q & A
- 4 FIRST RULE OF PR: ! BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET DONT PROMOTE A SHIT PRODUCT
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET Vision: The companys long-term, aspirational business goals. What's the change you want to make in the world? ! Mission: The companys purpose and reason for being. What are the big first steps to make that change? ! Values: How will you make those choices, changes and first steps? MISSION, VISION + VALUES
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET VISION: To become the worlds largest community for dreamers. ! MISSION: To create the worlds best app that helps people remember and record their dreams. ! VALUES: Curious, Data- Driven, Exploratory, and Secure
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET Many companies try to dive into driving awareness for their product or service before they figure out who they are, what they stand for, and what they are driving for. At Eventbrite, we set out 6 years ago to democratize the ticketing industry through innovative products and top notch support. The great news is that through all the growth weve had in customers and in company size these are still our primary areas of focus. -Julia Hartz, Co-Founder of Eventbrite
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET MESSAGING Text Its is the one thing you want to tell people about your startup. ! -It needs to be compelling (NO BS!) and different from your competition. Source
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET MESSAGING Text Its is the one thing you want to tell people about your startup. ! -It needs to be compelling (NO BS!) and different from your competition. ! ! Text A fun online world where kids can adopt their very own monster, go on adventures, play games, solve puzzles, be creative, and communicate with their friends.
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET TextText
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET MESSAGING FOR A TWO-SIDED MARKET
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET PRESS - ARE YOU READY? ! Patience is important. Media coverage is easier and more effective once you have a killer product. If youre trying to create buzz too early, youre doing it wrong. -MICHELLE ZATLYN, CO-FOUNDER OF CLOUDFLARE !
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET WHY DO YOU NEED PRESS? 1. Users 2. SEO 3. Building Credibility + Trust 4. Raising Money 5. Testing Out a New Idea 6. Recruitment Source
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET I NEED USERS! Common but often misguided Entrepreneurs tend to set expectations too high Viral and WOM marketing are usually more powerful channels for startups, but press is a great way to get the loop going. Target: Whatever your perspective customers or users read. A tool for small business might pitch Inc., while a sports app could target ESPN. Source
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET SEO Getting wide press coverage across a variety of press outlets w/ PR 5+ scores is a great way to boost your SEO Source Target: Low-hanging fruit; smaller blogs, sometimes the ones no one has heard of! And PR newswires.
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET BUILDING CREDIBILITY Source Target: Go for big names!
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET RAISING MONEY This is repeatedly the number one benefit of getting press that startups mention to me To aim your story at investors mention impressive usage metrics or key hires Source Target: TechCrunch, The Next Web, GigaOm and the Wall Street Journal.
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET TESTING OUT A NEW IDEA Without more than 100 users, how can you know if your MVP is right for the market? ! Its very tempting to use press to test an MVP but if its a total flop it will be burned permanently on the Internet Source
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET RECRUITING Attract new hires by showing off your companys culture or office space ZenDesk, GitHub, Evernote, and Fueled have all done this really well Source Target: Where your potential hires read! e.g. If youre hiring developers, try to get posted on Hacker News
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET BEFORE PRESS Your product has been thoroughly alpha tested with not only friends, family but a wide group of users so you know it works mTurk.com, followerwonk.com, usertesting.com, betali.st Youre familiar with the media landscape and can name at least three journalists...
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET UK/EUROPE TECH MEDIA @TheNextWeb @MartinSFP ! @TechCrunch @MikeButcher @IngridLunden ! @TechCityNews @AlexWoodCreates ! @Informlio @BenJRooney @WiredUK @Olivia_Solon ! @tech_eu @RobinWauters ! @Telegraph @Kate_Day ! @GuardianTech @CharlesArthur ! !
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET FINDING THE JOURNALIST 1. Do your homework ! 2. STALK / NETWORK ! 3. Get an introduction! ! 4. Invite them to a party! ! 5. Cocktail party rules apply ! 6. Give them a scoop!
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET NOTHING BEATS NETWORKING The single most effective way to get an article on any publication is to know someone at the publication. - @DavidSpinks
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET TOOLS OF THE TRADE HARO: Help a Reporter Out Help A Reporter connects news sources with journalists looking for their expertise. ! MuckRack: Track Journalists and key words on Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin ! Twitter
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET READ! Blogs Fred Wilson (A VC) http://avc.com Chris Dixon http://cdixon.org Paul Grahams Essays http://paulgraham.com Hacker News http://news.ycombinator.com The Full Start - http://fullstart.com ! !Newsletters The Fetch http://thefetch.com 3460 Miles http://3460miles.com Startup Digest http://startupdigest.com
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET PR AGENCY COSTS $3K - $30K per month Try negotiating a "success-based" PR package that gives you the security of knowing that you will only pay for PR if certain pre-determined goals for coverage are met. If those goals are not met, you wont have to pay. If the goals are reached, you will be happy to pay, because youre paying for actual results.
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET STORY ANGLES Tell your story in different ways to different outlets that will appeal to the difference readerships. Audiences vary widely across different brands, websites, and blogs
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET WHATS THE STORY? Weve launched Funding Trend Stories Weve hit X # of users New features Acquiring Big, new hire Future plans
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET PRESS GETS YOU MORE PRESS Journalists read other publications to find ideas for articles ! Getting a good article on the right publications will lead to more press. For example, Feast, a SF based startup, landed an article in Greatist, which led to articles in Mens Fitness and The Bold Italic.
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET WRITING THE PITCH 1. Be brief. 2. Craft an eye-catching subject line. 3. Dont copy paste! Oh Hey Caroline at The Next Crunch.. ! 4. Give a reasonable time frame. 5. Say why it's DIFFERENT 6. Avoid jargon like DISRUPTIVE, CURATED, HYBRID, INNOVATIVE, GAME-CHANGING etc. ! 7. Give an offer if you can: Beta invites. App Codes. Exclusive details, etc.
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET
- BRILLIANT PR ON A STARTUP BUDGET Courtney B of the deep blue sea, Would you could you should you if you please When youve got a moment so free Let known when you could lend your ear to me?