Apple iPhone 4S Announcements & Healthcare
Embed Size (px)
In the past year, Apple has made incredible inroads in the medical industry - according to the opening of their October 4 announcements, 80% of all US hospitals are piloting iPad programs. But how will the new iPhone 4S affect the healthcare industry and how can it better improve the lives of doctors and their patients. Find out what the lack of NFC, the inclusion of artificial intelligence and the new lower price tag for 3GS mean for the medical industry.
Transcript of Apple iPhone 4S Announcements & Healthcare
- Apples Announcements &HEALTHCARE
- Voice Assistance The most landmark of the Apple announcements, Siri voice assistance, holds the promise of a new way to interact with mobile devices and apps. This development isnt just important for busy doctors trying to keep sterile hands, its also a signicant advancement in assistive technology and a harbinger of things to come.
- Voice control and dictation isnt new oniPhone. iOS already has a primitivesystem built in, and many medical apps -such as Touch Medix Lightning Charts -integrate their own dictation software. But Apples new voice assistance, Siri, goes far beyond these. With Siri, doctors can converse with their phones to book appointments, reminders and more. Plus, the apps ties to WolframAlpha, making it particularly useful for doctors.
- Paired with iOS 5s new assistive features,such as custom gestures, SMS tones andcustom vibration, iPhone 4GS couldbecome the choice device forhandicapped users.
- Although there isnt any current indication that it will happen, itspossible that one day all apps could include voicecommands and articial intelligence, similar to whats currentlybeing integrated with Microsoft Kinect.
- Dual Core A5 ChipA5 Chip &Dual Core Apple may have used gaming to showcase their phones new processing power during the keynote, but this isnt the only arena where extra processing power is important. This development brings the same processing power to iPhone that has made iPad 2 a powerhouse in healthcare and means that MRIs and other images can be viewed more clearly.
- 7 x Faster 2 x As FastGraphics As iPhone 4As the regulatory bodies like theFDA begin to look more closely atdiagnostic apps, and developersare creating more sophisticatedmedical image viewers, this boostin processing power helps establishiPhone, and not just iPad, as a truemedical tool.
- Health TrackingGoes Mainstream Nike+ made run tracking easy with its specialized pedometer and mobile integration, but mobile health tracking is about to go even more mainstream as the feature becomes integrated into iPod Nano. This landmark opens the doors to encourage more mobile health tracking, allowing doctors to better understand our daily activity.
- iPod Nano represents afun, easy and cheap wayfor users to track theiractivity. With its low costand durability, its possibleusers may start viewingNano as a tness toolrather than a music player. Mobile devices hold the potential to passively record peoples activity and use positive feedback loops to reinforce healthy habit. The integration of these features is a step in the direction of our mobile device being seen as a healthcare tool.
- Lack of NFC Its not just about what iPhone 4S has, its about what it DOESNT have, and NFC is one glaring omission. NFC has the power to allow doctors to securely and easily get information from patients and medical devices. Google launched NFC in Android earlier this year, but Apples failure to follow spells difculty for the technology.
- Several aspects of NFC,including its security andaffordability, make it an idealway to exchange health databetween doctors andpatients, patients and medicaldevices, and more.Apple holds patents that includeNFC, but their failure to include itcan either been seen as a blowto the technology, or a boon forAndroid. In addition to havingNFC, Android also does notrequire certication ofaccessories like Apple does.
- Multiple Carriers& Cheap Devices Lots of companies have entered the smartphone markets with a variety of high- and low-end products on a range of carriers. This variety has challenged iPhone. The introduction of a free 3GS and an additional carrier means that a doctor can use a high-power device while his patient can opt for the basics.
- Apple is successful in the smartphone space, but globally the company represents only 5% of the mobile phone market. There is a large number of people who will be purchasing smartphones in the next few years and a free 3GS ups the chance those phones will be iPhones. FREEThe introduction of another carrier meansthat theres no pain for users inswitching phones, also upping iPhoneadoption
- iPhone has been proven tobe one of the best devicesfor seniors, and with aplethora of diabetes,medication and otherhealthcare apps, it holdsgreat potential.Until now, iPhone has beenprohibitively expensive forxed incomes, but thediscounted 3GS opens newoptions. Perhaps one day itwill be even covered bymedicare.
- Start developing for iPhone 4S today Download StumbleUpons case study to nd out how the company created an iPad app before the devices release bit.ly/4smhealth