The Reasons Why I Am A Humongous Geek And Nerd
Embed Size (px)
The folks from SingleHop reached out to me for Geekness Day on July 13th. They sent me six questions for me to answer about why I am a geek, enjoy my answers!
Transcript of The Reasons Why I Am A Humongous Geek And Nerd
- The Reasons Why I Am A Humongous Geek/Nerd By: Nathan Young @nvyoung
- I was recently contacted by SingleHop, a leading provider of dedicated server and cloud hosting technology. And they wanted everyone to get ready for the upcoming Geekness Day on July 13th! The folks from SingleHop wanted me to write a post about what makes me a geek. Really, being a geek is one of the coolest things anyone can become! You meet a variety of great people at conventions, online, and at local comic stores. You get to follow some awesome TV shows and movies. (zombies, doctors, dragons, and ponies rule the most) You get to chat with fellow geeks/nerds online while playing games, chatting on live video, or chatting on that favorite tech forum. Yes, living a life of a geek is awesome! The folks from SingleHop sent me six questions to answer, so geek out, and read my responses to what makes me a geek! Celebrate Geekness Day!
- 1. What makes you a geek? Well for starters, I have been a geek for most of my life. Thanks to my father, who was a computer expert, that is how I got my start in geekhood! My father created a basic computer game just for me when I was a very young kid, and that got my interest in computers started. It also helped that my father liked playing games on the computer as well! Fast forward to today, I am on my computer most of the day writing, chatting with other people, editing photos and video, playing games, and watching shows. But being a geek is not only being in front of a screen all day, geeks also have to get out into the world and mingle with others.
- 1. What makes you a geek? Going to conventions and other geeky events is awesome! You can meet your favorite celebrities, take lots of photos from other people cosplaying (costume play), attend panels on your favorite subjects, play games, and more! Even though I love keeping up with the latest technology, being on the computer, playing games, watching shows very popular in the geek fandoms, and more! I find that geeks care for each other, and when someone is in deep trouble, others will come and help out their fellow geek. I guess that is what makes me a geek!
- 2. What is your proudest geek moment? Well, since I run the popular Geek Alabama blog, I have gotten to do some awesome things, like interview people working on shows like The Walking Dead, True Blood, Eureka, Ghostbusters, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, and more! Another proud moment is when I go to cover everyday events like festivals, concerts, conventions, foodie events, fundraisers, high school sports, and more. And at those events, I take some awesome photos and videos! After I post everything online, I usually get plenty of thank-yous from people holding the events, that puts a smile on my face!
- 3. What is your geek motto/favorite geek quote? My favorite quote of all time, since I love roads is: A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment youre past it. -Doug Coupland As for a geeky quote, I refer you to Willy Wonka, a very underrated geek! Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple. Willy Wonka
- 4. Who is your geek role model? My favorite geek role models are characters who are different, since I am different too. Even though I have Aspergers Syndrome, I still want to be treated like every other human being on Planet Earth. So my favorite five geek role models are:
- Doctor Who from the BBC
- Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory
- Daryl from The Walking Dead
- Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
- 5. How familiar are you with the types of services SingleHop offers (dedicated servers, private cloud hosting, managed hosting, etc.)? No, I have not heard about SingleHop, but I have checked out the website. Maybe if this site becomes super big, I could use your services!
- 6. Anything else you think we should know? I know this sounds weird, but I have been unemployed for three years now and I have filled out over 1,100 applications with no luck. Its hard to believe that a popular geek like me has been unemployed for this long, but I have. If you know of anything, e-mail me at NathanYoung@GeekAlabama.com
- Dont forget, celebrate Geekness Day on July 13th! And use the hashtag #GeeknessDay Thanks to the folks from SingleHop for reaching out to us! Learn more about SingleHop and their private cloud hosting services at: http://www.singlehop.com/cloud-hosting/private-cloud/
- Thanks for reading my article! If you want to learn more about me, view my Visual Resume on SlideShare (over 8,500 views), follow me on Twitter, and see my Facebook profile, dont worry, its clean! Search for Nathan Young Visual Resume on SlideShare.net
- GeekAlabama.com Facebook.com/GeekAlabama @GeekAlabama Plus.Google.Com/+GeekAlabama Presentation Brought To You By: Infographic Created By: Nathan Young SlideShare.net/NathanYoung Facebook.com/nvyoung Twitter.com/nvyoung Gplus.to/nvyoung Pinterest.com/nvyoung About.me/nvyoung RebelMouse.com/nvyoung Linkedin.com/in/nvyoung Instagram.com/nvyoung44 Keek.com/nvyoung 256-452-1565 NathanYoung@GeekAlabama.com GeekAlabama.com Facebook.com/GeekAlabama @GeekAlabama Plus.Google.Com/+GeekAlabama Presentation Brought To You By: Presentation Created By: Nathan Young SlideShare.net/NathanYoung Facebook.com/nvyoung Twitter.com/nvyoung Gplus.to/nvyoung Pinterest.com/nvyoung About.me/nvyoung RebelMouse.com/nvyoung Linkedin.com/in/nvyoung Instagram.com/nvyoung44 Keek.com/nvyoung Youtube.com/barcncpt44 NathanYoung@GeekAlabama.com
- About Nathan Young Thanks for checking me out; Nathan Young is an experienced writer, blogger, photographer, and videographer who blogs at Geek Alabama. Nathan is a big Road, Weather, and News Junkie Geek and is a great person to be around who is funny and informative. Nathan is an accomplished media person who regularly covers topics on Geek Alabama and gets numerous requests to cover things from businesses, products, TV shows, movies, books, games, food, events, conventions, concerts, and other reviews. He is open to speaking, covering products or events, and representing your brand. The most interesting fact about me, I draw roads! #Aspie proud! #ASD
- View this presentation, other presentations, infographics, and other great stuff from Nathan Young at: Slideshare.net/NathanYoung Enjoy other awesome presentations!