Sweet basil,Production technology of sweat basil,.Medical uses of sweat basil,Botanical discription...
Presentations & Public Speaking
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Sweet basil,Production technology of sweat basil,.Medical uses of sweat basil,Botanical discription...
Presentation Outlinesweat basil
• Botanical name
• Botanical description
• Medicinal uses
• Production technology
Soil and Climate Sowing date Irrigation Fertilizers Insect pest and diseases etc.
• Scientific name: Ocimum basilicum• Common names: Basil or sweet basil • Family: lamiaceae
• The name basil is derived from greek word, basileus which means “king”, because of the royal fragrance of this herb:
Origin of Basil
• Basil is widespread in Africa Asia and USA• First cultivated in India.• More than 50 species are present.• Differ in growth habit physiological
appearance and aromatic composition.
• Stem• Basil is an erect herbaceous annual plant.• Sometimes grown as a short-lived perennial in
some areas.• It grows into a bushy shape up to about 50 cm
tall and some varieties may even grow taller.
• Leaves• The leaves are broad.• Oval shaped.• And 5 to 8 cm long.• Leaves are yellowish and • Bright green.
• Flowers• Small white to purple flowers appear in
summer and are arranged in whorls on the ends of branches.
• Seed • The flowers produce seeds, which are oblong,
ranging from brown to black in color.• The seeds self-sow readily and are easy to
• Seedbed preparation:• 2-3 cultivation for direct sowing.
• 1 planking.
• Apply suitable farming operation.
• Temperature:• Best cultivated in subtropical areas.• Optimum temperature for germination is 20 o
C.• Rainfall:• 700 mm rainfall is the minimum for dryland
• Basil required well drained and fertile soil.
• High organic matter content.
• pH ranges from 4-6.
• Propagation:• Seed can be sown in trays.• Basil may be cultivated as field crop or in a
green house.• Transplanted in field after 4-6 weeks.• When plant height is 15 cm.• Basil can also propagated by cuttings.
• Spacing:• Row- Row space=50-100 cm.• Plant- plant space=15-30.• Planting depth:• Seeds are planted only 3-6 mm deep.• Plant population:• Population should be 60000-90000 plants per
• Basil can be direct seeded or transplanted in August- October.
• Planted nursery at early date.
• Protect it from cold and frost season.
• Depend upon soil type.• Basil respond well at moderately use of
• N:P:K=100:50:20 kg per hectare.
• Requires water throughout the growing season.
• Drip irrigation is the best option.• Weeds control:• Weeds control is critical because the
competition with weeds decrease the quality of leaves.
• Do not allow the weeds to form seed.• Shade out weeds by plant canopy.• Use manual or mechanical control.
Pests and diseases
• For essential oil:• It is harvesting one time at full harvesting
stage.• For leaves:• Up to 4 cuttings are possible.• Leaves are harvested when needed.• Leaves are cut 10-15 cm above the ground to
• Essential oil is stored in air tight plastic bag.• Fresh basil stored on 8-10 o C temperature.• Fresh basil stored for 7-10 days at
recommended temperature.• Dried leaves are stored in dark air tight