SocialRadar Company Culture
Embed Size (px)
This document is part manifesto & part employee handbook. It’s part of who we are and who we want to be. It's how we define our culture.
Transcript of SocialRadar Company Culture
- what is culture? a set of shared beliefs, great culture attracts great people great people create great culture great culture helps people deliver their best work This document is part manifesto & part employee handbook. Its part of who we are and who we want to be. values and practices
- culture isnt born. its forged. our culture defies convention by combining the best practices of other companies with progressive ideas we have not seen elsewhere. THE 10 UNCONVENTIONAL PILLARS OF OUR CULTURE
- we operate on trust1
- we operate on trust1 Just because someone made a mistake years ago doesnt mean we need a policy We only protect against the really big stuff We dont have pages of policies and procedures
- we operate on trust1 We have 3 short policies for just about everything: do what is right 1 use good judgment 2 act in SocialRadars best interest 3
- we operate on trust1 Social media policy Travel policy Sick day policy Expense reimbursement policy Technology for work policy Buy a round of drinks at an event policy Work from home during a blizzard policy do what is right 1 use good judgment 2 act in SocialRadars best interest 3 Our policy on all of these things (and most other things)
- we stay relevant2
- we stay relevant2 We stay current, we stay cutting edge. We dont shun new technology we become early adopters and experts of it. We pilot everything. We share what we learn. We share our new discoveries and experiences with each other from tech to pop culture. We are active on social media. We have Twitter accounts and we use LinkedIn, etc. We contribute daily to social sites. We share the great content we discover.
- we stay relevant2 We develop for the iPhone and Android and we are all power users of both. We are mobile - live it. SocialRadar is running all the time. We are super-consumers of our own product. We see blockbuster movies on opening weekend, discuss the news and invite speakers that come to educate the group. Stay relevant - by staying current.
- we are building for where the market is going to be 3
- we have a vision and a mission that will get us there we are building for where the market is going to be3 not for where it is now. And not for where everyone believes it is going. We see where the market is going to end up. Thats what were building for.
- It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them. - Steve Jobs
- we actively participate in the community 4
- We participate in DC tech events, attend tech meet-ups and foster connections with our fellow techies, designers, marketers, etc. We believe in helping our family and friends. We help our co-workers. We help other startups and technology companies as well as fellow entrepreneurs. We are active members of a community and will do our part. we actively participate in the community4
- we believe in working as a team5
- we believe in working as a team5 Small groups are mighty forces. We work in small groups from development to marketing. There is little to no telecommuting because we believe teams work better face- to-face. Both in work and outside of work we encourage group lunches, group movies, group exercise.
- we believe in working as a team5 Cancel unproductive meetings Limit internal scheduled meetings to 20 minutes (except 1:1s or companywide) No pre-scheduled auto-recurring meetings Meetings are not necessarily teamwork:
- we all contribute differently6
- we all contribute differently6 Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses but we all chip in we are a startup. Our jobs may include strategy and product design but they also include building our own desks and taking out the trash. A gear-shift has a different job than a steering wheel but all are needed to run the car
- we all contribute differently6 Management should not be everyones career goal. We can excel and grow in a variety of roles. Manager of the accounting department is a different job than an accountant not necessarily a higher or more important job. We believe in keeping the organization as flat as possible. But managers are needed as a company grows. We will not create another level until a manager has a minimum of 6 direct reports. Management is not a higher position. It is a different skill:
- we believe in constant feedback7
- we believe in constant feedback7 No annual reviews but feedback all the time: As a team member, you have the right to candid and constructive feedback. We are replacing the traditional annual review in favor of more frequent feedback. Dont be offended by feedback. It will help you grow. Respond positively: Great now I know what I can do better in my job thank you for telling me. If feedback isnt helpful or you dont take feedback well, this may not be the place for you. Not every company is a good fit for every employee. If thats the case, we will part on great terms.
- we value your contribution & your career 8
- we value your contribution and your career8 We are building a company for the community, our co-workers, and ourselves. Everyone owns a piece of what were building with our generous stock program. Upon joining SocialRadar, you are allotted a set amount of stock. Additional grants are made based on individual contributions to the company. Everyone is an owner:
- we value your contribution and your career8 We will align our people to the market annually. Some, but not all, positions will increase in comp because their value in the marketplace is moving up, driven by increasing skills and/or greater demand for an area of expertise. Its a healthy idea not a traitorous one to explore what other firms would pay you: Interview and talk to peers at other companies. Talk with your manager about what you find We value our employees: Minor exception: no interviews with firms that are direct competitors. Often they are trying to get confidential information.
- we believe in work + life, not work vs. life 9
- we believe in work + life, not work vs. life9 Please prioritize important family or personal events. Because we strive to do an amazing job, we can take all the time we need (marking our calendars, of course). We also take off on most NYSE holidays. We have unlimited vacation and sick leave and a flexible schedule: Recognized NYSE holidays: New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day
- we believe in work + life, not work vs. life9 The basis for good teamwork is respect for each others time. We ask that everyone start the day by 9:30 am. We understand that people work late, so lets work late together: Monday and Thursday we will work until 9:00 pm and provide dinner for the team Tuesday and Wednesday we will leave at a normal time and try not to schedule other meetings so you can go home for dinner We have coordinated work schedules:
- we believe in work + life, not work vs. life9 We workout and stay active. (well you workout but if you do we pay for it.) We (try to) eat healthy. We stock our kitchen area with healthy food and drink. And only some junk food (mostly cupcakes). And we firmly believe our time at work should positively impact our life.: Gym memberships are covered by SocialRadar. Other workout programs will be covered within reason.
- we are perpetually a work-in-progress10
- we are perpetually a work-in-progress10 Expect Change We are driving the car while building it. Its difficult and painful but necessary as we constantly readjust to the road ahead.
- we are perpetually a work-in-progress10 Try to be better than you were yesterday. We would rather fail frequently then never try. We all fail at something everyday. Learn from your mistakes and try not to make them again.
- we are perpetually a work-in-progress10 iterating never done learning never done rethinking never done When we finish something we look back and see how it can be made better. Then we start again. (After we finish all of our other work.)
- 6. We all contributedifferently. 7. We believe in constant feedback. 8. We value your contribution and your career. 9. We believe in work + life, not work vs. life. 10. We are perpetually a work- in-progress. 1. We operate on trust. 2. We stay relevant. 3. We are building for where the market is going to be. 4. We actively participate in the community. 5. We believe in working as a team.
- This deck was based on: 1. great culture ideas copied from leading companies that we respect (see below) 2. A decade of experiences shared by Michael Chasen 3. the input of many other (very smart) people HubSpot Culture Presentation http://www.slideshare.net/HubSpot/the-hubspot-culture-code-creating-a-company-we-love Netflix Culture Presentation http://www.slideshare.net/reed2001/culture-2009 Zappos Corporate Culture Presentation http://www.slideshare.net/Thor/zappos-lessons-building-a-customerfocused-culture?from_search=1