SHORT STORY ELEMENTS
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of SHORT STORY ELEMENTS
The time and place in which the events of the story take place.
People, animals, or
natural forces represented as
persons in a work of
• Static - a character that stays the same throughout the story.
• Dynamic - a character that undergoes changes in personality or attitude.
• Flat - a character that has only one dimension or "side." Sometimes they are a stereotyped person.
• Round - a character that has many sides to his/her personality.
The sequence of related events that
make up a story
background information presented; characters are introduced; the setting is established
events leading up to the turning
point. The problem develops
the moment at which the plot reaches its point of greatest emotional intensity; it is also the turning point
the tension decrease, and the plot moves
toward the conclusion
how the author ends the story; it records the
outcome of the conflict and ties any loose ends
in the story
struggle between opposing forces that
sets the plot in motion; it engages the reader,
builds suspense or mystery
• Man vs. man external struggle between two or more individuals
• Man vs. himself internal struggle concerning emotion and decision
• Man vs. nature external struggle between man and an element of nature
the vantage point from which a story is told
the teller of the story can take us into the minds of
all the characters
Outside narrator (the writer) tells the story
usually from the main
character’s point of view; narrator is not involved in the
an "I" tells the story. Our
perception of other
from this person's view-narrator is in
the central idea, message, or even moral found in a story
Hints or clues of the things to come in the story