Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Semiotics Zoozoo
- 1. Vodafone Zoozoo Campaign-A Semiotic Analysis
2. ZOOZOO? ? ?
zoo vaat chhe! zollid impact zis is
Zoo Zoo - Zimply Zoooper
- More like a sound, dynamic and flexible, than a static word which doesnt change 4. Used as noun, verb, adjective, characterization and evokes various emotions of appreciations 5. It makes zoozoos not only memorable but also adorable, accessible, TOM, easily talked about 6. Increases the signified meanings of ZOOZOO as every time a new expression comes out
Depiction of the Characters
Built & Traits:
Stick like egg-headed figures
Limited facial expressions
Movements are hurried and comical
- Not aggressive 8. Not handsome 9. Not complicated 10. Not glamourous 11. Not robotic, mechanical 12. Not intimidating
The absence of all of these signify that they are more
approachable, simplistic beings who are fun to have around HUTCH
always follow you !!
13. Images they Invoke!!
14. Characteristics each lends to ZooZoos:
Full of life
15. What do these characteristics convey?
Cartoons we used to watch as kids
Invokes pleasant memories and fantastical world we used to live as children but branded by vodafone; cool to talk about
Does not produce bias of any kind(class, creed, religion)
16. Environment Study
Very basic structures, cars , message boards etc
Mundane life- shows ironical situations
Small problems to resolve
Depicts a World
between reality and animation
something that is known yet so not known to us
behave similar but look different
Idealistic world you would want to live in!!
The use of the colour grey
Colours used only in case of some discrete objects flowers, bow of the female Zoozoo, vegetables
To free up the clutter from the scene and reflect situations that are ordinary, like say someone falling, which everyone finds hilarious.
To spoof the simple things in life
Grey is a neutral colour. It doesnt distract from the message conveyed and doesnt produce biases.
20. Sound and Video
Pitch & Tempo
No close shots
Inanimate objects eg: Eiffel Tower form the centre of the surrounding
- Speech looks like the mumbling of kids or people gossiping 22. The emotions are effectively conveyed by the pitch. 23. Transcends global culture and language barriers.
Context & Narrative
24. Context Analysis
No background music
Revolves around the mundane things in life
Slice of the Zoozoo world
26. ANALYSIS OF THE ADVERTISEMENT: 1. groupsms
27. Dominant Images in the AD
- ZooZoo 1: A Kid 28. ZooZoo 2: The Bully 29. ZooZoo 3,4,5&6 : Friends of the kid.
- Lamp Post 30. Bench 31. Silhouettes of buildings
Describe the Characters
The Kid Shown playing with a ping pong ball
The bully Slightly larger in size than the other kid, has a facial expression similar to a smirk
The friends- All of them of the same size as the kid, so as to drive home the impression that the friends are just like him
32. Symbolism of the Characters
The ad shows a kid who is playing alone and is being disturbed by a bully.The scene depicts a situations which many of us faced in our childhood, a younger kid is always treated like an extra on the ground, he is asked to field, gets the last batting and no bowling.
While the situation here refers to a situation when a person is alone on a road (the playground can also be perceived as a road with street lights) and is exposed to dangers like chain snatching, eve teasing. In such situations the ad tries to tell that you are just a click away from your friends.
This can also be perceived as the Hutch way of saying Where ever you go, our network follows.
The bully on the other hand is a typical bully, he is larger than the average kid, has a constant smirk on his face and disturbs people for no reason even when he know they are getting irritated. But he gets defeated by the group of friends, this signifies the strength of unity.
The whole situation can also be interpreted as a girl being stalked by a road side Romeo, in the beginning the girl tries to avoid him and the guy gets emboldened by this fact. Finally the girl decides to call her brothers for help and theRomeo gets thrashed.
33. 2. CALL Divert
34. Dominant Images in the AD
The caller and the called
The bench, book and trees around
35. Symbolism of the Characters
The called character is inconspicuous in its features. The caller character has mouth wide open
By their physical descriptions, the called character symbolizes engrossed and serious while the caller character with its giggling sound and mouth open symbolizes a silly, unwanted entity.The sequence of frames depict the intrusive nature of the called
36. Symbolism of the Objects
The bench and book show help in showing that the called character is busy and engrossed.
The long shot in initial part of the ad sets the background while the close shot when the caller zoozoo giggles in the face of the caller zoozoo depicts the botheration caused by the caller more sharply.
37. The syntagm of the ad is the background interaction between the characters the final denouement.The same message can also be conveyed using other paradigms where
- The called is disturbed while s/he is praying 38. The called is giving an exam 39. The called is proposing to his girlfriend
The role that the different zoozoos play are shown by taking a
base form and then adding, wherever required, such attributes that
distinguish one role from another (as in case of a giggling
character or a grumpy character).
The value of each distinguishable zoozoo can be identified by contrasting it with other zoozoos around it i.e. if one zoozoo is giggling and other isnt then you distinguish one with the help of what other is not
40. The langue of the zoozoo is set by their common attributes like their egg shaped heads, their round eyes and their noises. The parole is in the way they interact in different settings.
By theirdistinguishable features, thesignifier signified relation is established (like that of a girl friend, angry man etc)
41. THANK YOU!!