Linux Beginner Guide 2014
Embed Size (px)
Howto beginner guide on Linux. 22 pages to enter on this operating system alternative. Some Security tips it's provided
Transcript of Linux Beginner Guide 2014
- LINUX COMPLETE BEGINNER GUIDE BY ANTHONY LE GOFF @Ideo_logiq Jan 2014
- 2 SUMMARY #CHAP 1. WHY I SHOULD INSTALL LINUX ? Many people have heard of Linux, know if it may be useful to you then becomes yet another reality that it is possible to imagine in terms of productivity and security as a workstation. #CHAP 2. CHOICE THE GOOD LINUX TO YOU Want to test Linux is already a big step. This is also the beginning to explore what "distro" is made depending on your needs. #CHAP 3. INSTALL LINUX ON YOUR PERSONAL COMPUTER Once you have selected your "linux distro" we will have take a bit of time to install on your computer. Here you have to learn how to start an operating system on a USB live, to partition your hard drive and then start the installation. #CHAP 4. BOOST THE HARDWARE & SOFTWARE COMPATIBILITY At last install on your Linux system, and sometimes there is a hardware that does not work natively. It is a fact, frequently wi-fi, 3D card or wireless mouse. Some ideas to fix the problems of a "fresh install" #CHAP 5. SOFTWARE INSTALL, APPS & CYBERSECURITY Your Linux OS running, you can begin to customize his appearance, desktop, startup, in graphical or command line.
- 3 #CHAP 1 .Why I Should install Linux ? Intro Curious to change the operating system, but yet you have no background in computer science. The command line scares & coding is not your thing and yet tired failures of other operating systems? I mean the blue screen of Windows such as fatal. This can be a start to migrate to Linux. Linux is not (always) elegant, this is not a Mac Book Pro or Air. However Apple or Windows have an irritating tendency to have non custom user environments and constrained, it is a fact: geeks are on Linux. Linux on your computer is not the computer Mr. or Mrs. everybody. It's yours, customize according to your computing needs, you take control of your computer. This should be the main reason to migrate. The computer changes with cloud computing and it is more difficult to understand the different layers of abstraction, what a computer is and how it works with the "all connected" and "smart object" starting invade us by smartphones and drones. Approach Linux allows you to better understand the whole problem and therefore the security of your data on the web. Android runs on a Linux kernel, 75% of smartphones, 92% of supercomputers run on Linux, and only 1.97% of personal computer are on a Linux system around the world.
- 4 This is totally free, you don't pay license Last update of Windows 8 completely fresh with his new writing Metro and you must pay the license. It was Christmas and you change your computer, workstation Mac, you go crazy for the latest Mac Book Pro, which cost you a trip to Bora Bora. And maybe then you would have preferred to go made in French Polynesia. This was just the beginning. You have to go buy some software. The latest Office suite and license $ 150. You are a crazy photoshop and also buy the license. Train in offering you also pay for the updates contained you are unsure use. Apple offers the latest OSX, a small update and a few $ more for the maintainability of your personal workstation. Updates, service packs, software suites, it is a budget. Linux is completely free, whether on a computer or a 3000 Machines and open source software included about 30,000 packages in Debian in deposits. You install the distribution, some automatic updates and you are on a complete operational system software suite, web browser included, communication. Updrade the system for a new & old computer Want to recycle a computer, or switch a laptop under a light system to ensure that it heats up a bit too much. The heart and kernel of linux running on thousands of servers worldwide operate by engineers who need resource stable production. This is the same kernel that you will find on your personal and lighter than Windows or Mac system. Modify the system as you wish If you browse a bit on blogs and websites specializing in Linux it is impossible not to notice hackers on their system. Customize the system is second nature with Linux. Want to change the color of windows, no problem. You do not like the splash screen of the computer? This party is to give some freshness. This icon looks like nothing? Change it! Need a script to start a program, let's go. Everything is modifiable, find the file system configuration and launch you to customize your computer. If you have a little fear there are some tools like Ubuntu Tweak for example in software repositories. If you are imaginative and creative on your computer you've found your place.
- 5 Learn in depth IT skills Whether a beginner or advanced level, Linux allows you to learn the computer step by step, using modern functions, command line or GUI to explore the functions of the computer. For example, you can learn to do handling in different forms: Check the access permissions work Knowing the commands currently running with the function top "Mount" a USB storage drive or an external hard drive with mount What is the rsync and how to use it to backup your data Become a master of your data with the commands grep, tail or find. Modify & play with effects on Linux Linux is highly customizable and you can change the system to give effects to your desktop, add additional zones of work and other things to increase your productivity while having a cool and stylish office or more extravagant as an array airplane and indicator on the operating state of the computer. An example with the desktop Gnome Shell Elementary Luna. The dock in Ubuntu: Unity, to manage your applications and automatic document search on your computer. It is also possible to run a Windows system for Linux applications by virtualizing the system with VirtualBox or applications with wine.
- 6 #CHAP 2. Install linux on your computer You have decided to take the step and you run Linux or start attempt after a few years of interruption for X reasons. It is time to prepare a distribution Linux "distro" that you will be installing on a USB Live (CD is out of date) to enter the world of Linux. To create a USB key you will have to use a Windows software called Linux Live USB creator or Lili for intimate with this software available for download. A second solution is to install the system in VirtualBox virtualization machine for testing safely on your current operating system with this tutorial. A small overview of various popular Linux distributions that you can test according to your needs and desires. To install it by Live USB and restart your PC to the USB key. Some distributions are made to start while others are for advanced users see informed (Arch Linux and Kali). You can download the image file in. Iso each site distributions or via bitorrent. Ubuntu : The most popular for human being Ubuntu is developed through the company Canonical by an entrepreneur named Mark Shuttleworth. He had a dream to create a distro accessible to everybody. This is a relatively new distro. It extends from the Ubuntu release with Touch for Smartphone and tablet. The Ubuntu user community is very important and reactive forums in case of problems, see sponsorship. This is a simple solution to start focusing on simplicity of use. This is the distribution or you will be less hardware problem during installation, often with a high material compatibility support. Ubuntu started with the beginner's guide to apprehend the system. Documentation of the Ubuntu wiki it's also very powerfull You will find variations of desktop such as Gnome-Shell, KDE or XFCE. Ubuntu comes in very intrusive Unity environment with research on Amazon, Ebay. Distributions change name depending on the desktop: Gnome remix, Kubuntu, Xubuntu. Ubuntu offers a cloud service named Ubuntu One by default.
- 7 Linux Mint : The new distro for beginner Linux Mint is based on simplicity and elegance. It is a derivative of Ubuntu and therefore robust distribution. There are two desktop environments either Cinnamon or Mate. To migrate from Windows without being too lost on the interface is a good choice because the bar and the menu are placed in the same manner. A smooth migration. Everything you need in a default OS is: office suite, tools, internet, browser, flash player, MP3, DVD. To start in Mint you can follow this user guide. Mageia : The french alternative system Mageia is a French project born from the death of Mandriva in 2010. The distribution is based on the creation of IT governance stable of collaborative work by a community of passionate. You can find the documentation on this page. The default desktop is KDE. It is also the first distribution to be built as free format MariaDB management system database instead of MySQL.
- 8 Fedora : Solid Alternative Fedora is developed by Linux Red Hat enterprise. The system is robust and different from Ubuntu package management (based on Debian. Deb on Ubuntu) RPM. Rapidly developing supports a variety of hardware and PowerPC oriented. Fedora is also used on the server side and system administration. Arch Linux : The corner of bearded men experts Arch Linux is not the distribution that installs following two, three drinks and you begin to remake the world. But it is well to rebuild your computer operating system from scratch. To learn Linux and IT "like a pro" is what you need and also a lot of coffee or tea at hand. You start with nothing and build your system. There's no updates every 6 m