FSPA India Day - Richard Lowy, Unicorn
Embed Size (px)
FSPA INDIA Day
Transcript of FSPA India Day - Richard Lowy, Unicorn
- 1. India DayFSPAMay 25th 2011
- 2. Richard LowySales Director
- 3. Privately Owned Family Business
Unicorn Products Limited
- 4. Quaint, Eccentric English Sports Goods
- 5. Unicorn Products Limited
- 6. 1937
The Worlds First Better Dart For 5
- 7. Innovation
- 8. 1930
GM Factory 1901
April 6th 1885
- 9. 1989
Wood, Darts & Cues
- 10. Headquartered KentOperations Centre NottinghamUnicorn ChinaEmploy 75 in the UK
The Company Today
- 11. Head Office FinanceUnicorn ChinaUnicorn Product DevelopmentWorldwide SalesExport & Import Logistics
- 12. Warehouse & Distribution Customer ServicesCricket Bat ProductionMarketing & Product Development
- 13. Unicorn China
- 14. Sell In More Than 100 Countries
Wide Retail DistributionSpecialist Sports RetailGeneral Sports RetailMass MerchantWholesaleBroad Product Ranges
- 15. India
- 16. Sensational Food
- 17. Wonderful People
- 18. Incredible Culture
- 19. Stunning
- 20. Why are we in India?
- 21. Quaint, Eccentric English Sports Goods
- 22. We were already there.
- 23. 5,000 year old ancient civilization
325 languages spoken 1,652 dialects
18 official languages
3.28 million sq. kilometres - Area
7,516 kilometres - Coastline
Worlds largest democracy.
One of the largest economies.
Largest English speaking nation in the world.
- 24. 1970 Nett Indian Purchaser
- 25. 1864 Duty was 7.6%1990 Duty was 93%2010 Duty 15%
In 1959 Nett Seller to India
- 26. 2004 / WTO
London Chamber of Commerce
- 27. Very Interesting
- 28. Number of Fronts.
- 29. Widely Distributed!
- 30. Counterfeit
- 31. even at my appointments!
Mr Manohar WagleWagle & Company 1865
- 32. 12 Meetings, 7 Orders, and learned a lot!
- 33. The country, the people, the market place, selling in sports trade
- 34. Very different from buying.
- 35. Average Indian salary was less than 40 per month
75% of the population earn less than 1.25 per day
50% of the cricketers in India dont use the equipment we make!
- 36. 13527100
Made sales 25% Population have moneyLiked a sales call!
- 37. Brands
- 38. What to do?
- 39. Appointed a Distributor
Structured product & pricing for the Indian market
Stopped dealing with them all!
- 40. Distributor
- 41. In India since 1970
Approached by many
- 42. Understand all aspects of the local market place and international trade
- 43. Sales Force
- 44. 200 Retailers
- 45. License
- 46. License
- 47. DistributorLicenseeSupplier
- 48. Varied & Unorganised
- 49. Styles to suit consumers
- 50. Individual Sports ShopsPoor to Excellent
- 51. Decathlon
- 52. Cash & CarryReliance Retail
- 53. On-line Retailers
- 54. HyperCity has had some success in sports other Mass Merchants have not..so far
- 55. Minimal impact on Independent sports shops working on much low margins
- 56. Is it going well?
- 57. Since 2004Grown every year87% of the total in the last threeDoubled in 2011
- 58. Increased percentage of spending on imported sporting equipment.
Rise in disposable income.
Career opportunities in sports.
Distributor has done a good job raising our profile
- 59. Support calls with Distributor in the market place
- 60. ..all in a days work!
- 61. Overall the sporting goods market in India is growing at a healthy rate
- 62. Invest more in developing infrastructure Favorable Government policies
For India to develop & grow further
- 63. Mechanical Handling
- 64. Amritsar - Delhi - Hyderabad Chennai2600 km
- 65. Intellectual Property
- 66. Challenges?
- 67. 2011 Indian Budget15% to 21%Some product 28% Footwear Higher with Duty Protection
- 68. Getting around
- 69. Demand for good quality sport product
- 70. India.I love it!