Field assignment part 2
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Field assignment part 2
- 1. Field Assignment Part 2 By: Margarita Estrada Geology 1 Picture taken in Three Rivers, CA.
2. San Andreas Fault
- Sadly I had pictures of the actual fault, but they got erased, the only picture I had left was this which is still not very helpful, but at least its something.
- The San Andreas is a transform fault that runs at about 810 miles through California here in the US. It is the sliding boundary between the Pacific Plate and the North American Plate. (Lynch 2011)
Lynch, David K. "San Andreas Fault Line - Fault Zone Map and Photos."Geology.com: News and Information for Geology & Earth Science . The Geological Society of America, 2011. Web. 02 Dec. 2011. . 3. Mechanical Weathering
- This picture was taken along on I-5.
- Its very hard to see in the picture since its a bit blurry, but pieces of the sedimentary rocks seemed very loose and you can see tiny pieces of them fall off, when natural winds as well as the added pressure of the cars that would pass by hit these rocks.
4. Mechanical Weathering (Root Wedging)
- Yosemite has such a beautiful scenery. I wish I could of taken a closer picture though. When you get near the trees you can see that the roots of the tree have broken or split these granite rocks down the middle.
5. Mass Wasting & Erosion
- Both of these pictures were taken (by my brother) in Stove Pipe Wells near Death Valley. Here you can see the down slope of the rocks that caused some of the rocks to fall off.
6. Continental Sedimentary Environment This picture was taken in Three Rivers, CA.Continental environments are associated with streams just as the one shown in the picture. 7. Marine Sedimentary Environment
- Its located between Los Angeles and San Francisco and it is a well known tourist location. I labeled this picture as a marine sedimentary environment; which are classified according to a depth of about 200 meters.
Martin, Daniel D. "Pismo Beach History - Pismo Beach Area Information - Pismo Beach, California."Pismo Beach Visitor Information Guide - Pismo Beach, California . Web. 02 Nov. 2011.http://classiccalifornia.com/history.htm
- Taken around 6:00 pm, Pismo Beach started at least 9,000 years ago and its around 8,838 acres.
8. Transitional Sedimentary Environment A beach is a geological landform along the shoreline of an ocean. This picture here was also taken in Pismo Beach, CA. This is an example of a transitional sedimentary environment; a shore line between marine and continental environments. 9. Practical Use of Geology
- Built in 1937 with a length of 4,200 feet, the Golden Gate Bridge is known to be one of the worlds most beautiful bridges. Having six lanes, the bridge is not only for cars or other automobiles but it is very popular among pedestrians and bicyclists. (I went not to long ago, so sorry if the picture is too blurry.)
"Golden Gate Park."Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia . Web. 02 Dec. 2011. . 10. References
- Lynch, David K. "San Andreas Fault Line - Fault Zone Map and Photos."Geology.com: News and Information for Geology & Earth Science . The Geological Society of America, 2011. Web. 02 Dec. 2011. .
- Martin, Daniel D. "Pismo Beach History - Pismo Beach Area Information - Pismo Beach, California."Pismo Beach Visitor Information Guide - Pismo Beach, California . Web. 02 Nov. 2011.http://classiccalifornia.com/history.htm
- "Golden Gate Park."Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia . Web. 02 Dec. 2011. .