Engaging Digital Natives - Their devices, their world, their content - by Schoolbox
Embed Size (px)
Owners of Australia's fast growing K-12 online learning environment Schoolbox, James and Sean help independent schools in Australia and New Zealand transform their teaching, learning and online communication. Today’s youth live in a digital world surrounded by devices, technology, online communities and are socially engaged though the web. The emergence of these digital natives is forcing traditional teaching methods/technology to move so rapidly, educators can be confused by how best to leverage digital learning to deliver an engaging learning experience through technology. James and Sean introduce how digital natives learn, how BYOD can work and how to style teaching and use technology in the classroom to fit with the mobile, social and and online world our students live in.
Transcript of Engaging Digital Natives - Their devices, their world, their content - by Schoolbox
- Engaging Digital Natives Their devices, their world, their content
- Introductions James Leckie Technical Director Alaress Sean Richards Managing Director Alaress
- How are they getting online? Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, 4901.0 Apr 2012
- How are they getting online? Over 90% use internet for education! Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, 4901.0 Apr 2012
- What are they using? Socially.
- What are they using? Socially. communicating with imagery!
- What are they producing online?
- What are they producing online? Students expressing themselves creatively!
- Why these services?
- Bite size content
- Accessible on range of devices
- Great, how do we teach in this language? They share knowledge freely Always connected They trust transparency They value 24/7 realtime interaction
- Provide streams of bite sized information
- Create blogs and engage students with comments
- Share and upload short videos, audio
- Post photos, infographics and diagrams
- Encourage students to use their own devices and software
- Use devices for research
- Broaden the range of acceptable assessment submissions
- Go social, enable peer review and discussion
- Provide forums
- Encourage students to ask questions and answer each other
- Enable peer review
- Ask students to share work with others and get feedback
- Ok, what about the teachers? Work smarter not harder!
- Assess electronically
- Engage students outside the classroom
- Encourage collaborative learning and sharing of resources within the classroom
- Engage students with materials and tools that matter to them
- Thank You