Digital Activism by Hailie Mozes
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Digital Activism by Hailie Mozes
- 1. Why Clicktivism is the New Avenue for Charitable CampaigningDigital Activism Image via bachmont (Flickr) ! Hailie Mozes
- 2. Social networking accounts for 28% of all media time spent online & users aged between 15-19 spend at least 3 hours/ day on average using platforms such as Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. (2)! Image via David Roseborough(Flickr) !
- 3. 18% of social media users cannot go a few hours without checking Facebook & 28% of iPhone users check their Twitter feed before getting up in the morning. (2)! Image via m01229 (Flickr) !
- 4. SocialMedia! Image via Mervi Eskelinen (Flickr) ! thrives on conversations. (1)!
- 5. . . . Making it an important and effective platform for organizations to utilize and raise awareness about charitable campaigns.! Image via mkhmarketing (Flickr) !
- 6. Clicktivism The use of digital media for facilitating social change and activism clicktivist.org (8) ! Image via Dominik Syka (Flickr) !
- 7. Charities need to think about their digital offering in a different way to help engagement with campaigns. (1)! Image via Alan Wolf (Flickr) !
- 8. Overexposure is necessary in this day and age of constant information. (8)! Image via ericnvntr (Flickr) !
- 9. Social Media keeps our concerns and our objectives part of the conversation and helps us make sure that the world's most vulnerable children and their families are not forgotten. ! Carly M. Stern (9) Image via David Goehring (Flickr) !
- 10. Multi-platform use is on the rise. (5)! Image via Garry Knight (Flickr) !
- 11. 52 52% of online adults now use two or more social media sites. (2)! Image via Garry Knight(Flickr) !
- 12. Creating multiple points of contact creates more opportunities for people to encounter the message. (1)! Image via Jason Howie (Flickr) !
- 13. Slacktivism Critics claim that online activism must be backed with real world activism: letters to government officials, advocacy meetings, public demonstrations. - Craig & Mark Kielburger (6) Image via lizzardo (Flickr) !
- 14. But many digital campaigns have proved otherwise . . .Image via David(Flickr) !
- 15. The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge raised $15.6 million between July 29 - August 18 and $8 million between August 14 -18. (8)! Image via Anthony Quintano (Flickr) !
- 16. Its not about the ice bucket ... a charity needs to start by examining its core values and mission ... then figure out if theres an interesting, catchy campaign around it. - Jeff Shuck (Plentys CEO) (4)! Image via Anthony Quintano (Flickr) !
- 17. 64% Americans said once theyd liked or followed an organization or cause on social media, they would be more inclined to show support in other ways like volunteering or donating. (6)! Image via Md saad andalib (Flickr) !
- 18. It is imperative that charitable organizations keep up to date with the digital literacies of Millennials.! Image via Artotem (Flickr) !
- 19. Language scholars are paying attention to the innovative linguistic force of #hashtags. (10)! Image via Jason Howie (Flickr) !
- 20. #hashtags are important to our culture. (7)! Image via Link Humans (Flickr) !
- 21. They are efficient because they help to optimize conversations and content for brands, organizations, and individuals. (10)! Image via jseliger2(Flickr) !
- 22. Takeaway 1: Charitable organizations must emulate digital literacies to remain relevant.! Image via Stockografie (Flickr) !
- 23. Takeaway 2: Opening the conversation on social media provokes individual and collective action . . . which can be just as powerful as a monetary donation.! Image via Garry Knight (Flickr) !
- 24. Takeaway 3: Clicktivism is the future of charitable campaigning. ! Image via Jim Pennucci (Flickr) !
- 25. Sources 1) Adhikari, D. (2012, April 5). How Charities Can Use Social Media for Digital Campaigning. Retrieved June 7, 2015.! 2) Bennett, S. (2014, December 30). Social Media Addiction: Statistics & Trends [INFOGRAPHIC]. Retrieved June 12, 2015! ! 3) Castillo, M., Petrie, R., & Wardell, C. (2014). Fundraising through online social networks: A field experiment on peer-to-peer solicitation. Journal of Public Economics, 114 29-35. Retrieved June 12, 2015! ! 4) Diamond, D. (2014, August 8). The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge Has Raised $100 Million And Counting. Retrieved June 8, 2015! ! 5) Duggan, M., Ellison, N., Lampe, C., Lengart, A., & Madden M. (2015, January 9). Social Media Update 2014. Retrieved June 4, 2015.! ! 6) Kielburger, C., & Kielburger, M. (2015, April 10). A click is not enough to have impact on world. Retrieved June 9, 2015.! ! 7) Lamoreaux, S. (2015, February 26). The Word Of The Year Is a #Hashtag Marketing Action Blog Act-On. Retrieved June 9, 2015.! ! 8) Sharma, R. (2014, August 20). Stop Pouring Ice on Clicktivism. Retrieved June 9, 2015. ! ! 9) Stern, C. (2015, March 31). In Praise of Clicktivism. Retrieved June 5, 2015.! ! 10) 50 Hashtags to Spark Social Change | Your Public Interest Registry. (2014, January 27). Retrieved June 12, 2015.! Image via Garry Knight (Flickr) !