Crash Course Clarinet
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Crash Course Clarinet
- 1. Crash Course2005 Clarinet
2. Step By Step
- This guide will help you to keep your instrument healthy.
- This guide will lead you to producing good clarinet sounds.
- This guide should make practice easy.
3. Start smart!
- Establish a quiet, secure place to assemble your instrument and begin to practice.
- Put the caseon the floor .
- Put the reed in your mouth.
4. Take care of the corks
- After following these steps, you are ready to put the reed on the instrument.
- Grease all of the other corks, too.
- Wipe your fingers on your pants (if they are washable).
- We will assemble the other pieces in a moment.
Grease cork of MP (mouthpiece) Twist MP and Barrel together Place ligature loosely onto MP Squeegee the reed it needsto be moist, but not too wet 5. Where does good tone come from? MP and Barrel Ligature
- The Reed and YOU
- Ictus (tongue release)
- Air speed
- Air temperature
6. Reed Alignment Whattodo
- Lift the ligature with your left pointer finger
- Put the reed butt onto the face of the MP
- Slide the reed down using your right thumb
- Wiggle the reed using your thumbs until there is a tiny black line of MP at the top of the reed
7. Reed AlignmentWhat NOT to do
- Dont touch the paper thin edge of the reed
- Dont leave a big black space on the side of the MP face beside the reed
- Dont make the reed stick up over the top of the MP
- Dont leave a big black stripe above the tip of the reed
- Dont tighten the screws too much
- Dont scrape the reed on your shoulder or arm and break the tip
- Dont use too many reeds, they cost money!!!
8. Add the Mouthpiece and Barrel
- With the upper joint secure in your left hand, pick up the pre-assembled MP and barrel
- Twist and push the two parts together
- Avoid touching the rods that the arrow indicates
9. Assembling theClarinet Body
- Pick up the upper & lower joints
- Put your hands on the instrument just like the picture
- Twist (only a little) and push the parts together
- Watch the key that the arrow is pointing to, the metal needs to align and not bend.
10. The Bell
- Keep the right hand on the lower joint
- Pick up the bell in the left hand
- Twist and push the bell onto the lower joint
- Be sure that your fingers are not on or bending the rods that the arrow points to
11. Playing your firstgood note
- Hold the half-clarinet at the barrel with your right hand
- Form an embouchure (mouth formation for making musical sound)
- With the left hand ready to cover holes, blow cool, fast air through the instrument
- The note G!
Embouchure Top teeth touch MP Bottom lip stretchesover bottom teeth Seal corners of mouth 12. The note G Practice playing the note G on any rhythm pattern you can create. Write some patterns down. Play each pattern in one breath. 13. The note F Practice playing the note F on any rhythm pattern you can create. Write some patterns down. Play each pattern in one breath. 14. The note E Practice playing the note E on any rhythm pattern you can create. Write some patterns down. Play each pattern in one breath. 15. The note D Practice playing the note D on any rhythm pattern you can create. Write some patterns down. Play each pattern in one breath. 16. The note C Practice playing the note C on any rhythm pattern you can create. Write some patterns down. Play each pattern in one breath. 17. Playing combinations of notes Use the notes C, D, E, F, and/or G to create short melodies 18. Create your own melodies
- Try to use every note that you know
- Use different rhythm patterns
19. When you are done practicing
- If you need to stop for a moment, then place your clarinet in a safe location. Teachers put their instruments on a peg stand or rest them on the case. Remember to keep the keys up.
20. Clean the clarinet, put in its case Remove reed, dry it. put it in its case Swab in Swab through Swab out 21. Dissemble the clarinet Remove Bell Place lower joint into case 22. Finish putting the clarinet away Place upper joint in case Place barrel in case Finally, put the mouthpiece away and latch the case securely.