AppFlood Global Mobile Android Advertising Insights Q2 2014
Embed Size (px)
AppFlood published its AppFlood Global Mobile Android Advertising Insights for Q2 2014, which dives into industry insights into mobile ad spend, eCPMs, and the state of the global mobile industry. AppFlood's report announces the second quarter's mobile ad metrics, and reveals that China's ticket to the western markets are easy-to-localize apps in the productivity and personalization app store categories. As growing mobile marketing budgets fuel China's global expansion efforts into emerging markets, China is fueling the maturation of these developing mobile markets including Asia, the Middle East, Latin America, and Africa.
Transcript of AppFlood Global Mobile Android Advertising Insights Q2 2014
- AppFlood Global Mobile Android Advertising Insights Q2 2014
- Q2 2014 mobile ad ecosystem at a glance Mobile trafc grew 56.5% QoQ eCPM remained unchanged at $0.97 between Q1 and Q2 2014 CPI prices dropped $0.01 to $0.29 between Q1 and Q2 2014 Rich media ad revenue jumped 95% QoQ, outpacing interstitials revenue growth Average global mobile ad budget grew 19.1% MoM 53% of global mobile ad budget now spent on acquiring users from Asia, Middle East, Africa, and Oceania Chinas biggest mobile ad spenders are advertisers with productivity apps
- Mobile trafc continues to grow globally Total global mobile trafc jumped 95% between Q1 and Q2 2014. Mobile trafc continues to grow 56.5% QoQ.
- QoQ eCPM stagnates On the back of higher demand for trafc from Chinese advertisers, outweighing the supply of inventory in June (due to the appearance of a major Chinese advertiser) eCPMs rose to $1.43. However, looking at quarterly eCPMs during Q1 and Q2 2014, eCPMs were stagnant at $0.97.
- Cost-per install remains unchanged during Spring With eCPMs QoQ stagnant, CPI dropped just $0.01 during Q1 and Q2 2014.
- In parallel with growing mobile trafc, global ad spend continues its upswing Global mobile ad spend grew 48.2% between Q1 and Q2 2014, and rose 58.1% QoQ between Q3 2013 and Q2 2014.
- Rich media revenue growth outpaces interstitial revenue two-fold Publishers continue to make interstitials their go-to ad format. However, revenue earned from rich media ads grew two times faster than interstitials between Q1 and Q2 2014. Rich media revenue grew 95% QoQ. Interstitial revenue grew 43% QoQ.
- Asia & the Middle East remain the top source of trafc Mobile trafc from the Middle East and Asia accounted for 53% of the global trafc.
- And for the rst time, users from Asia, Middle East accounted for nearly half (47%) of all global installs.
- Install rates on the rise in emerging markets Increasing install rates in emerging markets suggest an opportunity for developers to tap into the growing appetite for apps among users in these emerging markets.
- Advertisers allocate more budget to mobile advertising Mobile ad spend per advertiser grew 19.1% MoM between July 2013 and June 2014.
- Half of mobile advertising budgets target Asia, Middle East, and Africa 52% of the total global ad mobile budget was spent to acquire users from Asia, Middle East, and Africa.
- Top spending mobile app advertisers by category: Productivity Advertisers with productivity apps accounted for the largest average spend during Q2 2014 and spent 42% more than advertisers with personalization apps.
- Top spending mobile game advertisers by category: Sports Mobile sports game advertisers accounted for the largest spend on average among mobile game advertisers in Q2 2014. Mobile sports game advertisers spent 49% more than arcade game advertisers.
- China mobile spend picks up, while U.S. slows Chinas average mobile ad spend grew 123% QoQ, and continued to outpace U.S. ad spend. Average mobile spend per U.S. advertiser grew 66% QoQ down from last quarters growth at a rate of 86%.
- Not surprisingly, China accounted for 3/5 of the total global mobile ad spend in Q2 2014.
- Chinese advertisers continued to distribute ad spend globally, however in Q2 2014 both China and the U.S. placed greater emphasis on acquiring users from Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America. Chinas spend into these regions QoQ grew 395%, 311% and 697% respectively. U.S. advertisers spend into these regions grew 86%, 165%, and 271% respectively. Chinas global ad spend increased 379% during Q2 2014. The U.S.s total spend grew just 10%, while spend into North America declined by 53% QoQ. China and U.S. appetite for trafc from Asia, Middle East, and Latin America grows
- Productivity apps, Chinas ticket to the West* Chinese advertisers with productivity apps on average spend 62% more than Chinese advertisers promoting personalization apps. In fact, the top apps with the largest budgets are apps of the non-gaming category. *Western regions as dened by countries in North America, Latin America, Western Europe, and Eastern Europe. The largest average mobile ad budget by Chinese advertisers in Q2 2014 was spent on promoting productivity apps due to the ease with which this category of apps can be localized for Western markets. Productivity apps simply require that the app be translated into other languages.
- Deep Dive: Chinas App Market Ranked In collaboration with TalkingData
- Top Android app stores in China by percentage of mobile users who have the app store downloaded in Q2 2014* 1. 360 Mobile Assistant 2. Tencent App Market 3. Baidu Mobile Assistant 4. Google Play 5. Mi App Store 6. Wandoujia 7. 91 Mobile Assistant *Rankings as reported by TalkingData.
- Top apps in China by industries, ranked by coverage rate* in Q2 2014 *Coverage rate is determined by the total % of users in China who have the above apps installed on their mobile devices during the second quarter of 2014, as reported by TalkingData. Transportation 1. Baidu Map 2. Amap 3. Didi taxi 4. Google Map 5. Qunar 6. KuaiDi Taxi 7. Ctrip 8. Autonavi Navigation 9. Tianyi navigation 10. 10086 navigation Finance 1. alipay wallet 2. CCB 3. ICBC 4. CMB 5. 10jqka ( ) 6. CMB LIFE 7. Suishouji 8. QQ Tenpay 9. Great wisdom 10. Wacai Life & entertainment 1. Wochacha 2. Dianping _ 3. Changba 4. 58 5. 17173 6. Ganji 7. Haomabaishitong 8. Weishi 9. Neihanshequ 10. 360 weather Education & Reading 1. Textbook 2. Duokan 3. iReader 4. Jiakaobaodian-| 5. 10086 read 6. Lanrentingshu 7. QQ Read QQ 8. Qiushibaike 9. chelun- 10. Tianyi read Health 1. Meet you 2. Dayima 3. Happy pregnant 4. Chunyuyisheng 5. Shoushou - 6. Mint Thin Body 7. codoon+ 8. Super Diet 9. Aishou 10. Meilapp
- Top apps in China by industries, ranked by coverage rate* in Q2 2014 Both chatting & SNS apps QQ and WeChat are on 2x more devices than Taobao. *Coverage rate is determined by the total % of users in China who have the above apps installed on their mobile devices during the second quarter of 2014, as reported by TalkingData. Sports 1. Sina Sports 2. Hupu 3. cctv sports 4. Nike+ Running 5. Football Score 6. Sit Ups pro 7. Hupu Sports 8. Azhibo A - NBA 9. Bike record 10. Kanqiu Video & Player 1. Kugou 2. Youku 3. Tencent Video 4. QQ Music 5. iQiyi 6. Adobe Flash Player 7. QVOD 8. Ttpod 9. baofeng 10.Kuwo Chat & SNS 1. QQ2013 2. Wechat 3. Q-Zone 4. Weibo 5. Momo 6. Aliwangwang 7. miliao 8. Google+ 9. Baidu Tieba 10. Tencent weibo eCommerce 1. Taobao 2. MEITUAN 3. Vipshop 4. TMALL 5. JD 6. Mogujie 7. Meilishuo 8. JUMEI 9. Zhe800 10. Nuomi News 1. Tencent News 2. Toutiao News 3. 163 News 4. Sohu News 5. Flipboard 6. Autohome 7. VIVA 8. Sina News 9. Google Magazines 10. Baidu News
- Top apps in China by monthly active users* in Q2 2014 *Monthly active user rate is determined by the % of mobile users in China who opened the app once during each month of the second quarter of 2014, as reported by TalkingData. Smartphone users are 5 times more active on WeChat than the top mobile game in China. Mobile Games 1. PopStar 2. GunZ Dash for WeChat() 3. Speed Up ( 4. QQ Fight the Landloard 5. Tencent Thunder Figher() 6. QQ National War Planes() 7. Tencent Craz3 Match() 8. Happy Eliminate() 9. Temple Run 2 2 10. Subway Surfers ( 11. Carrot Fantasy2 12. Rhythm Master () 13. Super Clear Day () 14. Fishing Joy2 (2) 15. Don't Tap The White Tile () 16. Fruit Ninja 17. Xiong Da kuai Pao () 18. QQ Mahjong QQ 19. Minion Rush ( 20. A Small Town () Apps 1. WeChat 2. QQ2013 3. Sogou Mobile Input 4. 360 Mobile Guard 5. Taobao 6. 360 Mobile Assistant 7. Tencent App Store 8. Baidu Mobile Assistant 9. Weibo 10. Tencent Mobile Manager 11. Alipay 12. UC Browser 13. QQ Space 14. QQ Browser 15. Baidu 16. iQiyi 17. Baidu Mobile Input 18. Tencent Video 19. Kugou Music Player 20. QQ Music
- Top apps in China by coverage rate* in Q2 2014 *Coverage rate is determined by the total % of users in China who have the reported apps installed on their mobile devices during the second quarter of 2014 ,as reported by TalkingData. Game 1. GunZ Dash () 2. PopStar ( 3. QQ Fight the Landloard (QQ 4. Speed Up () 5. Rhythm Master () 6. QQ National War Planes() 7. Tencent Thunder Figher() 8. Tencent Craz3 Match() 9. Temple Run (2 2) 10.Subway Surfers ( 11. Don't Tap The White Tile () 12. Carrot Fantasy2 13. Super Clear Day () 14.