Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Writing technically
- 1. Writing TechnicallyMuhammad Hassan NasrTeam LeaderBadrIT
- 2. Technical Writing
- 3. What is it anyway?
- 4. Its About Technical communication.
- 5. Why Technical Writing?
- 6. First Thing:Its how you look to others
- 7. Clients, Manager, Professor, ...
- 8. They rarely see your code or work details
- 9. But
- 10. They do read your mails,...
- 11. Documentation
- 12. Presentations,Reports, API Docs, ...
- 13. Installation Guide,User Guide, Help, etc.
- 14. Second Thing:It isnt how good you are...
- 15. Its how you arecommunicating your good work !
- 16. Third Thing:Your work will be useless ifothers cant understand you
- 17. First Impressions Last
- 18. So, How to be a good technical writer?
- 19. And even a goodcommunicator...
- 20. Three Cs
- 21. Clear
- 22. Know your audience
- 23. Talk their language
- 24. Use jargon they know
- 25. Define the unfamiliar
- 26. The weather was of anextreme nature on the west coast. Can we rewrite the above?
- 27. California had very cold weather last week.
- 28. Concise
- 29. Keep it Simple, Stupid (KISS)
- 30. Less is More
- 31. That is something with which I cannot agree. Can we rewrite the above?
- 32. That is something I cannot agree with.
- 33. Complete
- 34. Say what you should and no more.
- 35. Give references, wiki links, ...
- 36. OK, lets learn how to write..
- 37. Writing is layout + letters
- 38. Lets look at the layout.
- 39. Technical Writing is Presentational
- 40. Attractive Layout
- 41. Top Down Strategy
- 42. Headings
- 43. Chunks"Short Paragraphs"
- 44. Use Images
- 45. A picture is worth a thousand words
- 46. Use examples
- 47. Examples eliminate misconceptions
- 48. Now lets play with the letters
- 49. Start with capital
- 50. End with a period .
- 51. Other examples of period
- 52. Dr. Bauer M.S. degree Steven S. Wilson Jr.(Time is now 4:30 p.m.) (10 B.C.)
- 53. Use commas, semicolonand other punctuations.
- 54. after the show ended. we had coffee What is wrong with the above?
- 55. After the show ended, we had coffee.
- 56. You will need to do more homework; for exampleread rules here and here
- 57. This is an example ofcolon: Some bullets. It can be followed a numbered. Or alpha list as well.
- 58. Bullets and numbered listmake your info clear and absorbable.
- 59. Whats wrong with this?
- 60. Use only 1 space between words
- 61. "Dont forget to useQuotations", Muhammad Hassan said.
- 62. Use parentheses to make it more clear (this is a recursive example).
- 63. Apostrophe have its rules isnt that true?
- 64. Hyphen is a bit-trickyUse spell-checker or google to validate
- 65. Why i use JAVA to access api?. Whats wrong with the above?
- 66. Why i use JAVA to access api?.
- 67. The pronoun i cant ever be small.
- 68. All capital letters means Abbreviation (API) or SHOUTING
- 69. No capitals in the middle.
- 70. Except for...
- 71. Titles: Writing Technically Knowns: Thursday, Sun, Alex, East ... Proper Nouns: Testing Team Names: Muhammad Hassan
- 72. More rules here
- 73. One last thing ...
- 74. Writing Process
- 75. Similar to software process
- 76. Prewriting
- 77. Drafting