WHAT IS GRAPHIC DESIGN? (Intro to GD, Wk 1)
Embed Size (px)
Week 1, What Is GD Presentation from Introduction to Graphic Design, Columbia College Chicago. Much of the content taken from readings, including the textbooks: Timothy Samara's "Design Elements" and "Design Evolution." Other references cited in presentation. Please note: many slides are intended for class discussion and might not make sense out of context.
Transcript of WHAT IS GRAPHIC DESIGN? (Intro to GD, Wk 1)
- W H AT I S G R A P H I C D E S I G N ?
- Is Graphic Design: A History Visual Art Commercial Art Advertising Visual Communication A Profession A Set of Computer Skills ?
- A History
- Josef Mller-Brockmann Adolphe Muron Cassandre, 1935 Paul Rand Emigre Magazine, 1985 Milton Glaser, 1973
- Visual Art
- Mel Bochner, 2007
- I Saw the Figure 5 in Gold, Charles Demuth, 1928
- Composition with Red,Yellow, and Blue, Piet Mondrian, 1921
- Everything visual
- Lascaux caves Japanese Ad, 1806 Book of Kells Robert Crumb Harold, date unknown Found Magazine
- Commercial Art
- J. M. Flagg, 1917
- Lester Beall, 1939
- Design is the method of putting form and content together. Design, just as art, has multiple definitions; there is no single definition. Design can be art. Design can be aesthetics. Design is so simple, that's why it is so complicated. Paul Rand
- ... graphic design is a visual language uniting harmony and balance, color and light, scale and tension, form and content. But it is also an idiomatic language, a language of cues and puns and symbols and allusions, of cultural references and perceptual inferences that challenge both the intellect and the eye. Jessica Helfand
- A graphic designer is a communicator: someone who takes ideas and gives them visual form so that others can understand them. Graphic designers perform this service on behalf of a company or other organization to help that entity get its message out to its audience and, in so doing, evoke a particular response. from Timothy Samaras Design Elements (our textbook)
- Visual Communication
- Graphic Design is a profession ... serving a client defined by work with mastery of dedicated software tools equipped to solve any visual design problem and an established career path
- ... and a set of skills. effective use of type and image to communicate an idea engagement in the evolving signs and symbols of our environment ability to critique and negotiate visual ideas in a team and with a client ability to conceive visual ideas; knowing what is possible and how to get there
- Graphic Design is the art of persuasion ... meant to create desire for products, or persuade viewer to think in a certain way establishing the public face of a company through branding ultimately is ephemeral
- ... and an all-encompassing study of human symbols & signs. man makes marks to communicate; the evolution of those marks reveal a history of the times all marks are meant to communicate something for a reason, there is always a client we have own own symbolism; even advertising reveals the desires and needs of our society a successful graphic designer is tapped into the visual code of the times
- Graphic Design is meant to inform ... serving a function uniquely visual by conveying complex ideas quickly creating better understanding across language barriers, to direct giving security
- ... and to beautify. creates civic pride elevates aesthetic pleasure and creative thinking humanizes
- Curiosity about life in all of its aspects, I think, is still the secret of great creative people. Leo Burnett
- Big Questions
- What is the goal of an education in graphic design?
- Can graphic design be taught?
- Can graphic design be learned?
- When does one become a graphic designer?