Understanding computers ch 1
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Understanding computers ch 1
- 1. Understanding Computers Basic Computers L. Stack
2. Vocabulary Words
- Hardware :The equipment that makes up a computer
- Central Processing Unit (CPU): hardware that directs how information flows in, out, and through a computer
- Hard Drive: a tool, built into the computer, for storing data and instructions.
- Keyboard: the set of keys with numbers and letters used to type information into a computer.
3. Vocabulary Words
- Mouse: a pointing tool that you move with your hand.
- Monitor: a screen that shows information on a computer
- Input: the information that is put into a computer.
- Output: the information that comes out of a computer
- Software: a set of instructions that tells a computer what to do.
4. Vocabulary Terms
- Processing entering data into the computer
- Storage saving data, programs, or output for future use.
- Data Raw, unorganized facts
- Information Data that has been processed into a meaningful form
- Communication The transmission ofdata from one device to another.
5. What is a computer?
- A computer is a machine that uses a set of instructions to do many kinds of jobs.
- A computer can do math.
- It can collect, store, and display information.
- It can help write, draw and play games.
- It can also let you communicate with people all over the world.
6. Computers in Your Life
- Before 1980
- Computers were large and expensive
- Very few people had access to them
- Computers were mostly used for high-volume processing tasks
- Microcomputers in the early 80s
- Inexpensive personal computers
- Computer use increased dramatically
- More than 80% of US households include a computer, and most use computers at work
- Electronic devices are converging into single units with multiple capabilities
Understanding Computers in a Changing Society, 4 thEdition 7. Types of Computers
- Personal Computers , PC,Macs, Desktops, Lap tops and Netbooks.
- Computers on the Go consumer kiosks ATM machines. Portable computers and Web-enabled mobile devices
- Mainframe Very large computer
- Supercomputer very fast computer
8. Types of Computers
- A personal computer or PC : is a small computer made to be used by one person at time.
- It can do a few jobs at one time.
- People often use personal computers at home, in school or on the job.
- Sometimes personal computers can be linked together to allow more than one person to share or access the same information.
- A mainframe is a very large computer compared to a personal computer.
- It can be as big as a refrigerator.
- They can store huge amounts of information and can do many jobs at the same time.
- Supercomputer is a very fast computer.
- Supercomputers are used to do jobs at the fastest speed possible.
- Often called crunchers.
11. Uses for Personal Computers
- School / Home
- Take computerized tests.
- Present computerized reports.
- Write letters
- Play video games.
- Buy things on the internet.
- Chat on line
- Send e-mails
- Home/ Work
- Send e-mails.
- Track inventory
- Create memos
- Create agendas
- Create presentations
- Record keeping
12. Uses of Mainframes
- Telephone companies
- TV studios
- Transportation departments control traffic signals, railroads and subways
- Banks keep track of money
- Supermarket keep track of goods and prices
- Companies keep track of work records, print bills and track customer payments.
13. Uses of Supercomputers
- Weather forecasting predict weather.
- Air Traffic controllers locate and track air plains.
- NASA launches rockets and guides the space shuttles.
- Artist make animated graphics.
- Sportscasters figure sport teams statistics
14. Computers Then
- PrecomputersDr. Herman Holleriths Punch Card Tabulatin Machine and Sorter used to process the 1890 U.S. Census data.
- First Generation Computers1946-1957 The were very big and powered by thousands of vacuum tubes.ENAIAC
- First Generation Computer
16. ENIACElectronic Numerical Integrator and Computer.
- One of the first computers.
- Built in 1945 by J. P. EchertJR. and J. W. Mauchly.
- Much larger than today's computers made up of 40 separate units.
- Weighed as much as four adult African elephants .
- Had to set thousands of switches and rewrite the machine. Worked for 9 years.
- Second Generation
- Third Generation
- Fifth Generation
19. Parts of a computer
- All the equipment that makes up a computer is called the computershardware.
- Central Processing Unit (CPU) or Processor
- Computer Case
20. Computer Parts 21. Functions of Hardware
- CPU directs how information flows in, out and through the computer.
- It is the part that does the math and other jobs performed by the computer.
- It is also called the processor.
- Hard Drive
- The hard drive is a tool for storing data and instruction.
- It is built into the computers case.
- A hard drive is like a filing cabinet. It h olds information until you need it.
22. Hardware functions
- Keyboard / Mouse
- The keyboard is a set of keys with numbers and letters, used to type information into the computer.
- The mouse is a pointing tool that you move with your hand.
- Both the keyboard and mouse let you tell the computer what you want it to do
- Monitor / Printer
- The monitor is a screen that shows information on a computer.
- Printer lets you make paper copies of the work you do on the computer.