Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Tools.for.life.2014.presentation
- An Assistive Technology Resource Room Ed Chilgren Wallace School District
- Assistive Technology Resources for the Classroom How do you integrate assistive technology into a productive resource room? Paraprofessionals and teachers will learn how to take advantage of Kurzweil (text to Speech), Dragon (speech to Text), Inspiration (graphic organizer) and other software or resources available to create some great learning opportunities for students. Ed Chilgren Wallace School District #393
- What do your students need? Reading Help Documents Internet Books Bookshare.org Textbooks- NIMAC Writing Help -Word Predict -Voice Recognition
- Demos or trials of software available on almost all software programs Kurzweil Wynn Dragon Naturally Speaking Inspiration Write-out-loud Co-writer
- Programs Free programs available on-line Kurzweil & Wynn Scan to audio Word predict Outlining Web reading Import text to read Download to MP Free Webinars/Trainings Wynn On computers in AT Lab
- Programs Dragon Naturally Speaking Voice recognition Operate computer Multiple users Many programs Free Webinars/Training
- Programs Inspiration Graphic Organizers Outlines Templates Free trial Younger version Kidspiration On computers in AT Lab
- Accessible school material
- Accessible school material 7th Grade Textbooks available on-line We are very fortunate to have many textbook on-line, as well as worksheets, homework help, games, and much more are on the publisher's website. 7th Grade - Math Textbook www.glencoe.com enterState:Idaho marktheStudent/parentbullet drop-downmenu:subject:Mathematics ENTER Clickonthetitleofourbook:Mathconnects(shouldbethetoptitle)andthen,Course22009 Markthestudent/parentcenterbulletandthenpressENTERagain. (Thiswouldbeagoodplacetoplaceyourbookmark.) Asyoulookattheleftmargin,youwillseealltheresourcesthatareavailabletoyouandyour child(ren).Toaccesstheonlinetextbook,clickonit.Whenthenextscreenappears,enterthe followingaccesscodeandyouwillbetakentothetextbook. ACCESSCODE:C30ABC3D3D 7th Grade - Health Textbook http:www.glencoe.com/ose/ ACCESSCODE:A025D29D6E
- On-line Textbooks GreatforlowreadersandADD/ADHDStudents! Parentslovetheavailability Eliminatesexcuses
- Programs Write-out-loud & Co-writer Don Johnston Many schools have old versions of these programs Word predict and read back to student Free Webinars/Trainings Other products
- Demos and Trials 30 days is usual After 30 days rotate to a different computer. You could extend the time to document the need. Also, gives time to secure funds.
- Buy in by regular education Teachers. Text to Read Exhibit how it helps students, elimination of excuses. Easy to assist E-mail A copy a day ahead
- Documentation for text Mimic Need doctor verification of a print disability. Texts are then available in digital format. Universal Design Eliminates much of this need
- IPad Google Drive has more features, including text-to-speech and word-prediction if needed -: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-drive/id507874739?mt=8 iWordQ (full support) better than iReadWrite for readers who need to take one sentence at a time or repeat sentences for better comprehension, $24.99: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iwordq-us/id557929840?mt=8 Tools 4 Students (writing templates), $.99: . They have a volume 2 for $.99 too. Great deal. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tools-4-students/id472911218?mt=8 Idea Sketch, Free: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/idea-sketch/id367246522?mt=8 Notability is my favorite. Does it all, including recording audio, $2.99: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notability/id360593530?mt=8 Voice Dream Reader (text to speech), $9.99: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/voice-dream-reader-text-to/id496177674?mt=8
- IPad free: eBook Search, WolframAlpha (great for word problems 3 free ones per day w/o subscription, also has a web version for access with PC. The power of Google for math problem help), $2.99: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wolframalpha/id334989259?mt=8 Khan Academy (free tutoring in math and other topics): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/khan-academy/id469863705?mt=8 Pizza Fractions (Level 1 is free, has two more levels for $.99 each): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pizza-fractions-1/id374084320?mt=8 Money Counter Calculator Free: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/money-counter-calculator-free/id446496983?mt Dragon Dictation Free: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dragon-dictation/id341446764?mt=8 Easy Task (time management), free: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/easy-task-manager-access-your/id440496884? Reminders (memory jogger), the iPad operating system (iOS7) has it built in.
- Resources Bookshare.org http://www.idahoat.org/dnn/ PLATO http://www.tommarch.com/electra (thesis builder) http://nettietatpconsultants.com/ www.ldonline.org http://www.nild.net/ld.asp
- Take advantage of what you have. On-line resources Trial or Demos Free programs State Funded/ PLATO Bookshare.org Mimic Networking
- Classroom layout Try and see all monitors. Quite area if implementing voice recognition Scanner or new copier with save options. Divide up programs between multiple computers.
- Alternate Assignments Using PowerPoints to visualize what the student is reporting Word Banks Be creative!
- The End Have a great year! Ed Chilgren Wallace School District firstname.lastname@example.org