Tips From Students
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Tips From Students
- 1. Tony Nguyen Misty Alvaro Shelly Miller
- Image frombrokensidewalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/highway_knot_01.jpg .
- Every graduate student has one
- Required to correspond for all graduate school purposes with Kent State
- Professors typically E-mail your Kent E-mail account
- Check it often!
- Primary means of general communication to SLIS students.
- Receive information like job opportunities, practicum offerings, course changes, scholarships, new workshops and classes, textbooks for sale, and announcements from student groups.
- Visit the new student links to subscribe.
- Plan your degree carefully.
- Change your degree plan.
- Remind you of deadlines.
- State Library, Room 114
- Access for students
- Currently, free printing available
- Hours will vary
- Student Mailboxes
- My Campus
- My Courses
- Vista Single Sign-on (Blackboard)
- Student Tools
- Student Career Path
- Mail, Documents, Groups
- Student Tools: Registration Tools
- Check registration dates: View Entry Schedules
- Plan coursework: SLIS home page
- Workshop Catalog, SLIS Course Catalog
- MLIS Program Statement Form, Guidesheets
- Course rotations
- Registration Tools Box:
- Look Up and Register for Classes
- Add or Drop Classes
- See Course Descriptions
- Lots of registration guidance!
- Cannot be done through FlashLine, FlashFast, etc.
- Go to the SLIS Web site:ww.slis.kent.edu
- Click on Courses and Schedules
- Section on Waitlisting: click the link!
- Short, simple, online form
- Formats and platforms
- Tech skills
- Access to great instructors
- Schedule on SLIS home page
- 1 credit hour; maximum of 4 toward the degree
- Check for overlaps with regular courses
- Fill in a skill set with very little class time
- Hands-on experience
- Projects and papers
- Student Groups
- Local Professional Organizations
- Social Networking
- Meet and Greet
- Meetings1 stand 3 rdTuesdays, 5:15 PM
- Speakers, Panel Discussions, Social Events, Fundraisers, and more.
18. http://sites.google.com/site/kentcalsso/home 19.
- Local Events
- Watch the Kent LISTSERV
- Check out C-ALSSOs list of LISTSERVs
- Check out the SLIS Links Page
21. Pictured above:Member Groups and Communities page:www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/index.cfm ) Also available:a listing of ALA & LIS acronyms:www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/acronyms/index.cfm A great resource for involvement, information, and advice! 22.
- Stay informed and involved through
- Social networking (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, LibraryThing, goodreads)
- RSS feeds and blogs
- Conferences and lectures
- The most important key to your success