This weeks Information Sheet includes a PowerPoint by 3 rd year Modern Languages students about...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of This weeks Information Sheet includes a PowerPoint by 3 rd year Modern Languages students about...
- Page 1
- This weeks Information Sheet includes a PowerPoint by 3 rd year Modern Languages students about Haitis recent disaster
- Page 2
- Page 3
- In 2009, Haiti was hit hard by tropical storms and hurricanes, killing almost 800 people. With food prices increasing, it would have been extremely difficult to cope in that situation. En 2009 Hati a t frapp des orages tropicaux et des ouragans, tuant presque 800 personnes. Avec laugmentation des prix de la nourriture, il aurait t extremement difficile de sortir de cette situation.
- Page 4
- An earthquake measuring around 7 on the Richter scale. It destroyed many homes and buildings, and trapped people underneath the rubble. Un tremblement de terre mesur 7 sur lchelle de Richter. Il a dtruit de nombreuses maisons et immeubles, et a pig les personnes sous les dbris.
- Page 5
- En Hati ils poussent du riz, des pommes de terre, des cacahutes, des bananes, du mas et des haricots rouges. Chaque anne presque toute la rcolte est perdue cause des ouragans. Ils perdent aussi beaucoup cause des indondations. In Haiti they grow rice, potatoes, peanuts, corn, bananas and kidney beans. Haitians grow all of these but nearly all of their crops are lost to hurricanes every year. Everything they purchase is washed away by the floods.
- Page 6
- Cela signifie que la nourriture dont ils ont besoin a disparu et la qualit de vie est devenue encore pire. Avec une population aussi importante, lalimentation est cruciale pour nourrir des familles grandissantes mais tout a t perdu au tremblement de terre et les prcdents ouragans. This means the food they badly needed is gone and the quality of life has become even worse. With such a large population, the food is crucial to feed growing families but has all been lost in earthquake and previous hurricanes.
- Page 7
- In Haiti the average wage before the earthquake struck was 145 gourds (in Sterling thats 5) 1 American dollar is worth 40.25 gourds. En Hati le salaire moyen avant le tremblement de terre a t 145 gourdes (5 livres) 1 dollar amricain vaut 40,25 gourdes.
- Page 8
- Page 9
- Page 10
- Who were: William Robertson Smith, Margaret Home Sievewright, John Ewart and David Syme? They all emigrated from East Lothian and became important figures in their new countries. Find out more about them in the exhibition "Rags to Riches" in the school library.
- Page 11
- Fairtrade Fortnight Rawr Cafe When and Where? The Cafe will be in Mr Lessos old room opposite guidance. Lunchtimes next week from Monday 1 st to Wednesday 3 rd of March. Details There will be free tea and coffee and if you wish to indulge yourself cakes will be available to purchase. All items will be fairtrade or made from fairtrade ingredients. Look out for the flyers. If you find the one with the animal picture you win a free cake.