Thermal imaging camera
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Thermal imaging camera
- 1. Thermal Imaging Cameras An Application of Digital Image Processing
- 2. Introduction: The term Thermography mean the use of thermograms, to study heat distribution in structures or regions. A Thermographic Camera is also called as an infrared camera or thermal imaging camera, similar to a common camera that forms an image using infrared rays and operate in wavelengths as long as 14,000 nm (14 m).
- 3. The Infrared rays were used mainly for thermal measurement. The basic form of IR radiations beyond red light are used for the development of detectors, which can detect(s) a person 10 meters away. The advanced application of IR technology may have been used to detect the presence of icebergs and steamships using a mirror and thermopile. This was followed up to a proposal to detect the warm blooded organisms.
- 4. Components of a Thermographic Camera 1. Camera. 2. Thermal Sensors. 3. Solid state thermal imaging arrays. 4. Crystal slice imaging devices. 5. Smart Sensors.
- 5. The images captured from infrared cameras tend to have a single-color channel because the cameras generally use an image sensor that has a different wavelengths of infrared radiation. Sometimes these monochromatic images are displayed in pseudo-color. This technique is called density slicing. This is useful because although humans have much greater dynamic range in intensity detection than color overall, the ability to see fine intensity differences in bright areas is fairly limited.
- 6. Applications: Night Vision Roof inspection Chemical imaging Medical inspection Home performance Thermal weapon sight Program process monitoring Law enforcement and anti-terrorism Research & development of new products
- 7. Advantages
- 8. Temperature recognition: Temperature variation in two different cases. This is a technology in which machines are able to extract necessary information from an image.
- 9. Conclusion: Thermal Imaging is an outstanding technique, if implemented it could contribute the Nation.
- 10. References: http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/company/history/ timeline/defense/docs/first_flir.html DARPA developing personal LWIR cameras to give soldiers heat vision Thermal detector with preferentially-ordered thermally sensitive element and method
- 11. !!