The Wonder Of Cave
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of The Wonder Of Cave
The Wonder of CavesThe Wonder of Caves
What is a cave?What is a cave?• A cave is a natural
underground chamber which has an opening to the surface.
• Can be on land or even under water
• Caves can be found in mountains, under the ocean and even among ice glaciers!
Famous Caves around the WorldFamous Caves around the World
• Dragons Lair cave in Europe is famous because scientists found fossils of cave bears that lived 50,000 years ago.
• Blue Grotto is on the Island Capri in Italy.
• Waitomo is another cave in New Zealand
Dragon’s Lair Cave - EuropeDragon’s Lair Cave - Europe
The Blue Grotto – Capri, MaltaThe Blue Grotto – Capri, Malta
Caves can be made of ice too!Caves can be made of ice too!
Waitomo – New ZealandWaitomo – New Zealand
• Icicle shaped of rock hang from the roof of a cave.
• Look like stalactites, but grow up from the floor of a cave.
Spelunking (or Caving)Spelunking (or Caving)
• A sport where people explore caves using a variety of equipment.
• There are spelunking clubs all over the world and these clubs explore different caves together.
Pictures of SpelunkingPictures of Spelunking
• Cavers wear special equipment when exploring. • Headlamps, safety helmets and boots are just some of the gear needed when caving.
Cave DivingCave Diving
• Is similar to spelunking, but involves the use of special underwater equipment.
Cave SafetyCave Safety If you are going to explore caves on your own, take
these basic caving precautions:
• NEVER GO ALONE! • Take 3 sources of light. • Wear a helmet with a chin strap • Use rubber soled boots. • Dress warmly. • Take some energy food along • Tell someone where you are going and your estimated
time of return.
Wanna go caving? Wanna go caving?