The Marriage of SEO & UX
Embed Size (px)
Husband and wife Jake and Alisha Truemper discuss the relationship between UX (User Experience) and SEO (Search Engine Optimization. Jake is a Director of User Experience at Manifest Digital, and Alisha is the Search Engine Optimist at Scottrade.
Transcript of The Marriage of SEO & UX
- THE MARRIAGE OF SEO & UX Jake & Alisha Truemper Present
- VS. User Experience and Organic Search are rumored to be enemies. WHY?REALLY?
- WHEN PEOPLE HEAR SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION UX & SEO: A Love Story Mark Oleszczak User Experience Designer Usabilla They think of shady people keyword stuffing
- In the beginning SEO WAS ABOUT GAMING THE SYSTEM ...but, SEO matured, with the algorithms
- Search engines seek to evaluate quality.
- ...while UX experts sought the same.
- They developed common interests. OH.
- DONT BE EVIL. Googles Motto
- Source: UX Myths that Hurt SEO, start: 07:19; stop 8:43.448 RAND FISHKIN ON UX & SEO
- UX & SEO: A LOVE STORYMark Oleszczak, Usabilla
- WHEN SEO, IA, AND UX WORK TOGETHER, HUMAN USERS ARE THE ULTIMATE WINNERS UX is the New SEO Marianne Sweeny, Sr. SEO Strategist Portent
- SEO IS UX FOR ROBOTS^says John Goad, SEO, AddThree.com
- SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION
- USER EXPERIENCE
- We are both mediators between the human and the computer.
- SEOS ROLE UXS ROLE Connect searchers with what they are looking for on your site Help users achieve their goals on the site Improve effectiveness of off and on-site findability Test and tailor experiences to appeal to target personas Improve quality of traffic Turn traffic into conversions Target keywords searched by desired personas Turn visitors into return visitors Turn searchers into visitors Increase off-site findability by expanding web visibility
- SEOS WILL OFTEN USE UX TO INFORM DECISIONS AND BACK UP SUGGESTED ACTIONS.
- UX DOES THE SAME WITH SEO DATA.
- SEO CANT FUNCTION INSIDE OF SILOS.
- NEITHER CAN UX
- Think of me as a SEARCH EXPERIENCE ARCHITECT
- Googles Mission Statement TO ORGANIZE THE WORLDS INFORMATION AND MAKE IT UNIVERSALLY ACCESSIBLE AND USEFUL
- Pre-Campaign Whats trending? How do they search for it? What are the related search terms? Whats the intent of search? Whats the desired landing experience? Whats the desired visitor behavior? What are good success metrics and target numbers? Post Did we deliver on searchers expectations? Where did they come from? Where did they go after? Cannibalization handling Redirect Handling Did content earn backlinks? Did we reach our target numbers? How did this content affect other pages ranking and traffic earning? Ask Your SEO CONTENT STRATEGY
- Why UX Loves SEO
- Improving accessibility usually improves crawlability ACCESSIBLE
- SEOs assess and earn site authority. UX assesses and earns credibility. CREDIBLE
- UX directs on-site traffic SEOs direct off-site traffic FINDABLE
- SEOs analyze results. UX analyzes actions. DESIRABLE
- SEOs evaluate intent of search. UX manages expectation. USEFUL
- USABLE SEO needs a site to be usable to encourage return visits. UX wants the user to complete the desired task.
- VALUABLE To earn SEOs desired trust and freshness metrics, the site needs to fulfill the searchers needs.
- UX will help improve crawlability UX provides insight into visitor behavior UX helps align search intent with expectation UX assists in ushering traffic toward conversion WHY SEO LOVES UX
- HUMANS FIRST SEO and UX professionals agree And then bots
- W. Edwards Deming THE RESULT OF LONG-TERM RELATIONSHIPS IS BETTER AND BETTER QUALITY AND LOWER AND LOWER COSTS.
- THE END Jake UX, Manifest Digital @Trump29 [email protected] Alisha SEO, Scottrade @AlishaTruemper [email protected]