The Final Girl Theory by Carol J. Clover
Transcript of The Final Girl Theory by Carol J. Clover
THE FINAL GIRL THEORY BY CAROL J. CLOVER
WHAT IS THE THEORY?
• ‘The final girl’ is often seen in horror films (mainly slasher
• The theory suggests that there is usually a last female alive to
challenge/confront the monster/killer
• The final girl is also supposedly the person to live to tell the
• The theory was created by Carol J. Clover in her book called
‘Men, Women, and Chainsaws: Gender in the Modern Horror
WHO IS THE FINAL GIRL?• The final girls usually have similar traits…
• They are typically, virginal (sexually unavailable), intelligent, curious and have a will to
• The theory suggests that although the ‘last girl’ is taking the place of a stereotypical
male role they themselves can be feminine.
• In some cases the final girl can have a joint story to the killer (i.e. Halloween 2)
APPLIED TO HORROR
FRIDAY THE 13TH, PART 2 (1981)‘GINNY FEILD’
• In the film Ginny is shown to be a clever young women
• She used the skills she learnt in her Phycology major to outsmart the masked
• She dresses up as her mother by putting on her sweater to stop the killer from
getting to her
• Throughout the film she thinks fast and manages to attack the killer and get away.
• When Jason realises what she has done he goes after her, she tries to kill him, but
he gets away.