The curious incident of the dog in the night-time One Flew Over the Cuckooâ€™s Nest...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of The curious incident of the dog in the night-time One Flew Over the Cuckooâ€™s Nest...
- Slide 1
- the curious incident of the dog in the night-time One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest Girl, Interrupted
- Slide 2
- English novelist and poet Haddon worked with people with disabilities 2003- won the Witbread Book of the Year Award 2004- won the Commonwealth Writers Prize Overall Best First Book Both for the novel the curious incident of the dog in the night-time
- Slide 3
- Main Characters: Christopher Boone Ed Boone (father) Judy Boone (mother) Mr. and Mrs. Shears Wellington (dog) Siobhan (mentor) Toby (pet rat) Narrator- Chris Main Events Wellington is killed Chris tries to solve the mystery behind his fathers back Finds out his mother is not actually dead like he thought
- Slide 4
- Chris goes to London to find his mother Relationship with his father is broken, but slowly begins to be mended Themes Struggle to Become Independent Subjectivity Coping with a Loss
- Slide 5
- Slide 6
- Best known for OFOTCN Counter-cultural figure who considered himself a link between the Beat Generation (1950s) and the hippies (1960s). Awarded the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship in 1958 which enrolled him in the creative writing program at Stanford University.
- Slide 7
- Characters: Chief Bromden Randle McMurphy Nurse Ratched The narrator, Chief Bromden, is a half-indian patient at Oregon psychiatric hospital. The patients are all male. Events: Randle McMurphy arrives and all of the patients realize there is something different about him. McMurphy defies Nurse Ratcheds authority. He begins to do things to go against Big Nurse. McMurphy eventually loses his life
- Slide 8
- Themes: Women as Castrators Sexuality Invisibility Power of Laughter
- Slide 9
- Slide 10
- Born and raised in Cambridge, Massachusetts Attended the Commonwealth School in Boston and the Cambridge School Then was sent to McLean for depression in 1967 Diagnosed with borderline personality and released after 18 months
- Slide 11
- Characters: Susanna Kaysen Lisa Georgina Susanna Kaysen is a patient at McLean hospital in Belmont, Massachusetts. All girls Real diary entries of her life and the lives of the other patients in the hospital. She suffers from mild Schizophrenia. Attempted suicide by taking 50 aspirin, then gets her stomach pumped after.
- Slide 12
- Themes: Confusion of Social Nonconformity with Insanity Freedom vs. Captivity Time
- Slide 13
- Slide 14
- All of the narrators in the books deal with some sort of handicap which makes us question whether they are reliable narrators or not. Christopher Boone shows the reader that even with Autism, he is able to accomplish what he set his mind to. Randle McMurphy becomes the advocate for the patients in the mental hospital who cannot stand up for themselves against Nurse Ratched. The real-life stories by Susanna Kaysen gives the reader an inside look at what happened inside McLean.
- Slide 15