Target Audience They want more than just one. There is more than one type of audience targeted every...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Target Audience They want more than just one. There is more than one type of audience targeted every...
- Slide 1
- Target Audience They want more than just one
- Slide 2
- There is more than one type of audience targeted every time. Primary Secondary Tertiary
- Slide 3
- And there are countless sub-categories in those three audiences. These are specific populations of people Men Women Teens Pet Owners Parents Elderly Demographics Can you think of any more?
- Slide 4
- The interests get more specific once we narrow down the population. Depending on the type of media, specific interests are expanded on. For example: Pet owners are interested in keeping their pets happy and spending time with their pets. So, advertisers will design their adds based on this idea.
- Slide 5
- They may do this by depicting pet owners playing Frisbee Media can appeal to the direct playful interest that pet owners have with their pets.
- Slide 6
- They may do this by depicting pet owners cuddling with their pet. Media can appeal to the direct loving relationship pet owners have with their pets.
- Slide 7
- Media is aware of these audiences and formats accordingly
- Slide 8
- Primary Audience This is the major audience the media is trying to sell to. - They want to tailor their format directly to the interests of this audience.
- Slide 9
- Primary Audience The primary audience here would be working men with families. The media recognizes that men during this time were scared of being drafted and leaving their families behind during war. They wanted their families to be safe.
- Slide 10
- Secondary Audience This audience is not the primary target. They are people who may end up looking at it because of a relevant interest. Their children may be interested or a family member. - They are not going to tailor their format directly to this group, but some material may appear that would potentially draw in this audience.
- Slide 11
- Secondary The secondary audience here would be women. The idea is that women feel the need to protect their children foremost and by buying bonds, their children will be safe.
- Slide 12
- Tertiary Audience This audience is only slightly interested in the form of media being presented. They may look at it because it is on the coffee table, or they stumble across it when flipping through channels. - The media will not tailor their coverage for this group.
- Slide 13
- Tertiary The tertiary audience here would be children or people who do not have families. It still plays to the fact that people will not be safe if these bonds are not bought.
- Slide 14
- How would media target you? What are some of your interests as a group? What are some differences between you as a group? How would media use that to their advantage?
- Slide 15
- Your Turn! What do think the primary, secondary and tertiary audiences are in these pictures? Who do you think is being targeted here? What age group is being targeted? What is the interest being portrayed?
- Slide 16
- Group One This is the cover photo of People Magazines Issue for the month of November. Who are the Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary audiences? What age group? Who do you think is being targeted here? (sub group) What are the interests the media is playing with?
- Slide 17
- Group Two This is a picture from Bravos show: Top Chef: Junior. Who are the Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary audiences? What age group is being targeted? Who do you think is being targeted here? (sub group) What are the interests the media is playing with?