Superfast Business: A to Z of Selling Online 2014
Embed Size (px)
Superfast Business have teamed up with our business support partners Heart of the South West, 'Get up to Speed' and the Digital Marketplace to bring to you some of the leading voices in selling online at 'the A-Z of Selling Online' event. Essential elements to attract customers to your website - delivered by Matt Young from the award-winning Cosmic Ethical IT They covered: An overview of the opportunities available, and getting started Selecting and ecommerce platform Search Engine Optimisation and Adwords The do’s and don’ts of International Social media Five concepts to make your ecommerce business more successful - delivered by Chloe Thomas who was recently voted as one of the 10 most prominent e-commerce voices from around the world. Chloe Thomas is the author of the eCommerce MasterPlan. She has been doing online marketing for 10 years. In that time she has worked with over 50 eCommerce businesses, improving their online marketing, saving them money and time in the process. Her goal is to help businesses reach success faster, and stop wasting money and time on the wrong marketing. Superfast Business - offers fully funded support to help ambitious businesses in the South West with a focus on rural areas identify, maximise and profit from the opportunities that superfast broadband and new technologies present. They have a team of expert advisers, a programme of events on hot topics offering inspirational insights and practical solutions and access to IT specialists and knowledge. The service is aimed at businesses who have heard superfast broadband is coming to their area or are already experiencing good connection speeds and fulfill ERDF eligibility criteria. Register on their website today to see if your business is able to access the full support package and keep up to date with the latest technologies and information. w: www.superfastbusiness.co.uk e: email@example.com t: 0845 603 8593
Transcript of Superfast Business: A to Z of Selling Online 2014
- PART OF THE CITY DEAL PROGRAMME IN PARTNERSHIP WITH A-Z of Selling Online Welcome
- PLEASE! Do NOT turn off your phones #A2ZEcommerce #thedigimarketplace
- Agenda for the day Start Finish Event 9:45 10:00 Welcome to A-Z of Selling Online 10:00 11:15 Driving Traffic to your website (Pt 1) by Matt Young of Cosmic 11:15 11:40 Coffee 11:40 1:00 Driving Traffic to your website (Pt 2) by Matt Young of Cosmic 1:00 2:00 Lunch 2:00 2:30 Contract overview 2:30 3:45 Chloe Thomas presents Five concepts to make your ecommerce business more successful 3:45 4:15 Coffee & networking
- History Sir Tim Berners-Lee Ada Lovelace Charles Babbage Bletchley Park 2.4bn Web Users 1.2bn Shop Online Radio 38 years TV 13 years Web 4 years Facebook 10 months
- Prediction for 2014
- Online Spend per shopper
- PART OF THE CITY DEAL PROGRAMME IN PARTNERSHIP WITH Matt Young Cosmic Ethical IT
- PART OF THE CITY DEAL PROGRAMME IN PARTNERSHIP WITH Driving Traffic to your Website (pt 1) Search Engine Optimisation
- Reach SEO PPC Social media Display/affiliate Convert Website design & content Landing page Product page optimisation Basket conversion Retain E-news CRM Personalisation Social media
- People dont always buy because they need something A 6 letter word
- Getting people to buy. Tone of voice Information detailed as possible, materials, size, colour, options Images from all angles, enlargement, background Video? Call to action How?
- Advice for Services Appearance is critical, first impressions last Cheap products win on price Facebook Integrity Reviews and Testimonials
- Optimise for Reach Find customers you dont already know
- Organic is still the number 1 driver of traffic
- How search works
- SERP what is it?
- What is a Google web search trying to do? Give it users results of websites that are Relevant Content rich Change often Other people think are great
- Typical Keywords Phrases Best places to eat in Yeovil Clothes shops in Yeovil Somerset Brown Shoes Shoes for sale Somerset
- Competitive pagesPopularity of searches How do we decide our keyword phrases?
- How do we decide our Keywords Brainstorm 10 15 phrases of your site Brainstorm seed keywords Analytics any ideas? Look at competitors sites Revise/add using tools
- Get the basics right Optimise for onsite phrases 2/3 keywords phrases per page Content, Titles, Paragraph titles, etc. Page Titles Footers Images Get strong and relevant links back to your site Update your site regularly
- Internal links In line text Anchor text Hyperlink text
- Fat Footers
- Image Titles Image titles Alt tags Description Check your image titles Good naming convention Wedding car outside Monkton Court Hotel, ideal wedding venue in Devon wedding-venue-devon-car.jpg
- Meta Tags UK store supplying Cupcake Decorations
- Google + But isnt Google + a social media site?
- Google Local getting a pin on the map
- How do I actually do this? 1. Get your business added to Google local 2. Consistency appear the same in as many places as possible 3. Get reviews 3 tips to success
- Back Links YOUR SITE THEIR SITE YOUR SITE THEIR SITE Reciprocal link One-way link
- Page Rank
- Check your back links www.backlinkwatch.com
- What about Authorship?
- What about Penguins and Hummingbirds
- Hummingbird allows Google to understand user intent Greater understanding of words like 'how' 'why', 'where' and ''when', as well as the user intent that sits behind these word this helps Google deal with more complex, long-tail queries. This will allow Google to handle voice activated search queries more effectively, to keep up with their rising popularity on mobile devices (including Google Glass).
- Hummingbird Natural language queries Decline of the short tail Content rather than keywords: Greater device fragmentation: Improved search functionality more Google results Socialising of search - Author Rank combining SEO and Social efforts
- Summary Content and Keywords Choose Keywords wisely Place them in text, images and titles Updates Update site regularly Create new content Links Get links from QUALITY sites to yours Create opportunities through Social Media
- PART OF THE CITY DEAL PROGRAMME IN PARTNERSHIP WITH Coffee
- PART OF THE CITY DEAL PROGRAMME IN PARTNERSHIP WITH Driving Traffic to your Website (Pt 2) Social Media
- Which Platform?
- Which Platform? Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google + Instagram, Pinterest, Vine, Myspace, Snapchat
- Adapted from Media Cloverleaf by Richard Edelman Content first' strategy Tradigital E-news Forums Digital magazines Traditional Media Press Social networks Facebook Twitter YouTube LinkedIn Website Responsive design Mobile enabled Owned Content Video, blogs, Editorial, photos
- How many pages do you have?
- What written content? Create enough content for products and services; deep dive content Create new content that resolves customers issues How do I choose the right wind turbine How do I organise a . Whats the best
- Written content cont That meets with needs earlier in their buying journey Whats the best. Whats a .. How do I. That makes you an expert Create authority content and tag yourself as the author
- What about video content? Video for sales and marketing Product descriptions, visualisations Expert analysis, talks Case studies, testimonials Becoming significant in Search Results Pre sales research Post sales - support
- Video for customer support Creating video content for customer retention: Sony Xperia have created a YouTube channel of all their support and advice guides.
- Broadcast, share & converse Twitter Facebook LinkedIn Pinterest Newsletter Content creation You Tube Blog Flickr iTunes/podcasts Community building Forum Facebook Groups LinkedIn Groups Virtual worlds Social media engagement ladder Less time More time Listen Google Alerts Twitter Google Reader
- Case Study Broadway Books
- #Hashtags cont #SBS Small Business Sunday #JournoRequest Trending Topics (on Twitter)
- Remember Social media is not the answer it is just set of tools
- Questions? Matt Young @Cosmic_Matty
- PART OF THE CITY DEAL PROGRAMME IN PARTNERSHIP WITH Lunch
- PART OF THE CITY DEAL PROGRAMME IN PARTNERSHIP WITH Peninsula Enterprise Contract Overview
- Peninsula Enterprise & UK Trade & Investment
- PART OF THE CITY DEAL PROGRAMME
- Workshops Essential Tips & Tools Identify online selling good practice Exploit Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) Understand Pay Per Click advertising Utilise social media Measure your success with analytics Explore payment mechanisms A series of fully funded workshops delivering EXPERT guidance on how to successfully sell online in the UK and overseas. Selling Online Internationally Does your website and online selling strategy have the potential to reach global customers? Are your international web visits converting into sales? Is your website structured for global markets? Are you aware of how to avoid key legal pitfalls?
- International Website Creation and Search Engine Optimisation A formal Accreditation programme. Designed and funded to upskill and recognise core competencies in delivering international solutions for online business
- Contact Us www.thedigitalmarketplace.co.uk 0300 123 1043
- Business advice to help growth businesses maximise the opportunities of Superfast Broadband and associated technologies. Benefits for businesses can include: Competitive advantage through take-up and exploitation of SFBB Increased productivity Improve access to new markets and business opportunities Increase competitive advantage for businesses in rural locations More flexible and environmentally friendly working practices Increased opportunity for innovation Efficiency and timesaving Superfast Business Service
- Support Available Knowledge and information Inspiring events and interactive resources Expert business advisers Specialists with in-depth knowledge Access to ICT supplier network Links to partners and other support services (via the Growth Hub)
- Website Quick and easy registration Blogs and latest news Events Content on the Knowledge Hub Over 80 guides, top tips and checklists currently available Examples include: Guide to Social Media and Business, Guide to Integrating Systems, and Guide to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Knowledge Hub
- www.superfastbusiness.co.uk twitter @superfastbiz facebook www.facebook.com/superfastbiz join our linked in group Superfast Business SW firstname.lastname@example.org 0845 603 8593 Keep in touch
- What is Get up to Speed? A business and community support service to help promote what you can do with faster broadband Delivered on behalf of Connecting Devon & Somerset Runs from now to Dec 2016 Covering Devon, Somerset, BANES, North Somerset, Torbay and Plymouth Delivered by the newly formed Cosmic Peninsula Consortium Working with delivery partners (Community Councils for Devon and Somerset, DCBC and West of England Rural Network)
- What is available? Free sessions and information provision for businesses and communities, including: Champions (community and business) Briefings (stakeholders, businesses and communities) Awareness events, gadget shows and taster sessions (for businesses and communities) Training Needs Analysis Signposting to other services and skil