Suicide Bombing as a Hazard Contents Suicide Bombing Causes Purposes Techniques and Methods Female...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Suicide Bombing as a Hazard Contents Suicide Bombing Causes Purposes Techniques and Methods Female...
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- Suicide Bombing as a Hazard
- Slide 3
- Contents Suicide Bombing Causes Purposes Techniques and Methods Female Suicide Bomber Typical Suicide Bomber Support for Bombers Last Five years Record Most Disastrous Bombing Major Influenced Cities Current Situation Mitigations
- Slide 4
- What is a Suicide Bombing? Form of terrorism Irregular warfare willingly own death as well as death of enemies. Premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetuated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience
- Slide 5
- Bomb Explosion
- Slide 6
- Causes Deep Grievance (Killed friend or a member of family. Suffering from historical injustice. The only method to fight enemy. Loyal to intimate group of peers
- Slide 7
- Purposes of Suicide Bombing Political Mixture Military Tactics
- Slide 8
- Political Tactics Opposition to enemy forces. Desperation to third parties. Against Civilian targets to create fear among the people.
- Slide 9
- Military Purposes Against enemy countries to weaken it economically, morally and militarily For special purposes such as to target the armed forces, Against the agents opposing the countries policies,
- Slide 10
- Legal Approval Against Soldiers Approved by International Law Hague International Convention 1907 Nuremberg Tribunal. Against Civilians Palestinian: No such thing as an Israeli Civilian More examples When Britain and America could not kill enemy soldiers on the battlefield they killed their families from the air.
- Slide 11
- Techniques & Methods Use of female bombers. Use of child bombers Choosing the targets.
- Slide 12
- Female Suicide Bombers New phenomenon Obstacles to train women as bombers Rigid social Norms Not permitted to show their bodies to men.
- Slide 13
- Child Bombers Both Pakistani and army officials made recent statements to the press that Baitullah Mehsud was paying families up to 1 million rupees to get children as young as seven to serve as suicide bombers for the TTP or its subsidiaries.
- Slide 14
- Choosing the Targets Look at the spots to cause more deaths. Favourite targets: Crowded buses, cafes, outdoor markets. Final prayer when zero hour approaches, bombers instructed to write or videotape final testimony.
- Slide 15
- View of Suicide Attacks
- Slide 16
- Support for Suicide Bombing Religion Family Society Economic Support
- Slide 17
- Religion By blowing themselves up in a crowed, they are forging their own gateway to heaven.
- Slide 18
- Family Parents of a child that killed himself and others, seem happy, proud, and they are willing to send another child off to the afterlife.
- Slide 19
- Society 70 % to 80 % of Palestinians support suicide bombing. Martyrdom Operations Military Summer camps for children. Streets Hospitals, babies and Children events named after martyrs.
- Slide 20
- Economic Support $25,000 for relatives of suicide bombers
- Slide 21
- Suicide attack in Pakistan Began in 2002, frequency went up significantly in 2007. Its commonly believed that this upsurge in suicide attacks was a direct result of the operation against Lal Masjid and there is some truth in this claim as well. 49 suicide attacks took place after Lal Masjid operation. Drone attacks are also quoted as biggest contributors to the acceleration of S.A.
- Slide 22
- Conti.... In an article SUICIDE TERRORISM IN PAKISTAN: AN ASSESSMENT JRMIE LANCHE emphasis severity of suicide attacks as With more than 140 suicide attacks and1700 victims between 2002 and 2008, the use of the method is clearly on the rise. Pakistan has now surpassed both Iraq and Afghanistan in this disturbing ranking.
- Slide 23
- Conti.... Taliban want to show that such operations can happen anywhere and anytime, as the major military operation Rah-e-Nijat was directed against Mehsud and its affiliates in South Waziristan. However, it does not mean TTPs strategy will be effective in the long- run. 7,997 lives lost in Pakistan in 2008 because of erratic violence, suicide attacks accounted for only 967 victims which was 12 per cent of the total death toll.
- Slide 24
- Major Influenced Cities Karachi, Rawalpindi, Charsada, Peshawar, N.Waziristan, Quetta, D.I Khan, Islamabad, kohat, Quetta, Miranshah, Banu, Khurram agency, Mingora, Sargodha, Lahore.
- Slide 25
- Slide 26
- Last Five years Record
- Slide 27
- Slide 28
- Slide 29
- Slide 30
- Slide 31
- Slide 32
- Slide 33
- Slide 34
- Current Situation The overall figure in 2012 was 5,047 people killed and 5,688 injured in 2,217 attacks and clashes of various kinds.
- Slide 35
- Slide 36
- Mitigations Target the community or organization suicide bombers come from. Put fence around public places. Creating buffer zone between two population. Address their grievances and humiliations and try the best to make compensate. Political and religious parties should make clear disapproving the practice of S.Attacks. Justice should be provided to the victims. Economic conditions of poor masses should be developed. Security and precautionary measure should be taken. Hatred against other sects should be condemned.
- Slide 37
- References http://www.satp.org www.ipcs.org http://www.metransparent.com/spip.php?page=articl e&id_article=7514&lang=en http://www.viewpointonline.net http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=200 9\01\21\story_21-1-2009_pg7_15 http://san-pips.com/index.php?action=ra&id=pvt_list_1. 24 www.dawn.com www.expresstribune.com.pk