Seedcamp Presentation: Crossing the Pond / Building an Audience
Embed Size (px)
Seedcamp Presentation: Crossing the Pond / Building an Audience
Transcript of Seedcamp Presentation: Crossing the Pond / Building an Audience
- AGENDA CROSSING THE POND: FINDING YOUR AMERICAN AUDIENCE Courtney Boyd Myers Founder, audience.io & 3460 Miles
- INTRODUCTION Working with Fueled, Geckoboard, Makeshift, SHADOW, Transferwise, SecretEscapes, Percolate and Startup Institute Director of Audience Development at General Assembly London Writer at Wired UK, The Daily Beast & The Next Web Adviser at Second Home and Breadcrumbs Mentor at BBC WorldWideLabs, Seedcamp, Ignite100 Community Member of Sandbox, Summit Series & ICE COURTNEY BOYD MYERS @CBM FOUNDER, AUDIENCE.IO & 3460 MILES, HUSTLE & KALE
- AGENDA Startup Landscape Picking Your City Logistics: The Nitty Gritty Funding Brand + Messaging Community Marketing PR + Media 10 Takeaway Tips for CEOs Q & A
- CROSSING THE POND Mobile Ubiquity Changing Workforce (Messaging + Productivity) Data, Data, Data (+Analytics) P2P Economy Gen Y Hardware The Intertwingularity STARTUP LANDSCAPE Image: Shutterstock
- CROSSING THE POND TO BUILD SUCCESSFUL PRODUCTS FOR TOMORROW, YOU MUST LIVE IN THE FUTURE TODAY. !
- CROSSING THE POND BEING THE BEST, BEING AUDACIOUS & BEING COURAGEOUS IS A STATE OF MIND. ! FIND YOUR NICHE & SET YOUR SIGHTS ON BEING A WORLD LEADER.
- 7 BRIDGING THE ATLANTIC CROSSING THE POND What makes the U.S. a great target market? ! 316+ million people Digital ad spend of $110 billion in 2013 Greater amounts of venture capital Bigger exits ! Not bad Europe, but still a ways to go.
- 8 WHICH U.S. CITY IS RIGHT FOR YOUR BUSINESS? CROSSING THE POND ! ! Size of startup ecosystem, type of industries represented, access to talent, investors and media are just some of the factors to consider when deciding which city is right for you. ! (Also weather, restaurants, nightlife, babes and beach destinations, right?)
- CROSSING THE POND NEW YORK CITY Silicon Alley ! Hyphen-Tech: Finance, Advertising, Fashion, Music and Media (sounds like London, ya?) ! About that Media... Image: Shutterstock
- CROSSING THE POND AppNexus Artsy BarkBox Bitly Birchbox Etsy Fab Fueled NEW YORK CITY STARTUPS General Assembly Gilt GroupMe Foursquare Kickstarter MakerBot NewsCred OKCupid ! !* More extensive list can be found at: http://nytm.org/made-in-nyc Quirky SailThru SecondMarket Thrillist Tumblr Warby Parker Yipit ZocDoc
- CROSSING THE POND GET INVOLVED: NEW YORK CITY New York Tech Meetup nytm.org We Are NY Tech wearenytech.com Hack NY hackny.org Internet Week internetweekny.com Social Media Week socialmediaweek.org 3460 Miles 3460miles.com Raised By Us raisedby.us NYC Digital nyc.gov/digital Made In NY wearemadeinny.com
- CROSSING THE POND SAN FRANCISCO ! Epi-center, Mecca Mono-Culture The future is made here Tech-Tech About that Money... ! According to CrunchBase data, the amount of funding raised by start- ups in California in July 2013 was $1.4 billion Image: Shutterstock
- CROSSING THE POND SAN FRANCISCO STARTUPS Airbnb AdRoll Asana Band Page Dropbox GitHub Good Eggs Gumroad ! ! Lyft Mixpanel NewHive New Relic Optimizely One Kings Lane Path Pinterest Quantcast Strongloop Square Stella & Dot TaskRabbit Tripit ZenDesk ZenPayroll
- CROSSING THE POND GET INVOLVED: SAN FRANCISCO MEETUPS HACK WEEKENDS
- 15 HAVE YOU CONSIDERED? CROSSING THE POND ! Los Angeles Austin Boston Boulder Las Vegas Seattle Washington, D.C. Image: PandoDaily
- 16 ACCELERATORS + INCUBATORS CROSSING THE POND
- CROSSING THE POND Lyst Conversocial Huddle Trigger.io Songkick One Fine Stay Summly Moo EUROPEAN STARTUPS IN THE U.S.A. Decoded SoundCloud Unruly Media YPlan MixCloud Hailo Qriously Skype Spotify SkimLinks 3Beards Mimecast Blippar Campalyst Neverbland Prezi
- CROSSING THE POND LOGISTICS: THE NITTY GRITTY ! Taxes Legal: Contracts, LLC, S Corp, C Corp Hiring Banking, Payroll, Insurance Healthcare! Procurement Companies MoveGuides Visas... !
- CROSSING THE POND VISAS 1. H1B (for large, established companies) 2. L1 (intra-company transfers) 3. E2 (closest to a startup visa) 4. O1 (alien of extraordinary ability)
- CROSSING THE POND FUNDING Growing internationally is expensive You only get one shot at launching in a new city Tip: Raise money from connected angels or VCs in the city you want to launch in Get on AngelList Or have really thick bootstraps, thick skin and a rich uncle...
- CROSSING THE POND TOP VC FIRMS + U.S. ANGEL INVESTORS
- CROSSING THE POND MESSAGING ! Moms vs. Mums + a Jumble Sale? Jelly vs. Jam: Humor doesnt always translate! Does your startups name even translate?
- CROSSING THE POND SEEKING COMMUNITY L Identify stakeholders: Target Demographics (Customers) Potential Partners (Marketing, Business, Talent, and Investors) Then seek those groups of people at local events, coworking spaces, online (Stalking, YES!) and in the media (read! Do your HW.)
- CROSSING THE POND BUILDING COMMUNITY ! Send someone senior across the pond Hire locally Choose reputable local partners Seek government support Seek big brand support Establish ambassador programs and systems that support evangelists
- CROSSING THE POND HIRE LOCALLY Hiring a local expert with industry street cred will help you: Tap into local insights, contacts and deal opportunities Avoid market pitfalls + no-nos Get your business plugged in faster Know the local competition To hire locally: Tap your networks and get personal recommendations Use startup built recruiting services like hired.com
- CROSSING THE POND DIGITAL MARKETING Create a localized website or localize your product page in the App Store / Google Play Paid Advertising: Media, Social + Google AdWords + Retargeting Campaigns (AdRoll) Build Virality (also Vitality + Virility!) into your Product (a la Launchrock) Social Media Marketing: Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Pinterest, YouTube, Tumblr, Foursquare, Instagram, etc.
- CROSSING THE POND MARKETING TRENDS Crowdfunding as a marketing tool ! Content Marketing ! Product Marketing ! Promotions ! Company Culture as a marketing tool ! Social Good as a marketing tool ! Sidenote Marketing
- CROSSING THE POND 28 CONTENT MARKETING Content marketing is a cost effective, smart and scalable way to acquire customers ! Content should include educational, analytical industry-related blog posts mixed with fun, viral content like infographics ! Content marketing should be authentic and show your companys culture (culture marketing)
- CROSSING THE POND CONTENT MARKETING Write brilliant blog posts showcasing your expertise ! Content marketing can be easily enhanced with social media marketing and content syndication ! Your content marketing should support your companys SEO efforts
- CROSSING THE POND PRODUCT AS MARKETING! Hotmails growth was almost entirely due to a Get your free email at Hotmail sentence at the bottom of every email. ! Airbnb reverse-engineered Craigslist to let users post listings automatically despite no public Craigslist API. ! Allowing users to embed videos was key to the success of YouTube and Vimeo ! Slideshare included a plain-text link in their embed code, driving traffic back to their site to get an SEO boost to boot. ! Dropbox incentivized referrals by giving free extra storage space a strategy they claim accounted for 60% of their growth. Source
- CROSSING THE POND PROMOTIONS ! Choose Partners with aligned demographics and big audiences ! Choose Promotion Channels and promote content on a steady drumbeat ! Collect email addresses and social information at every turn
- CROSSING THE POND USING SOCIAL GOOD AS PR Your actions speak louder than words.
- CROSSING THE POND SIDENOTE MARKETING
- 34 SOCIAL MEDIA: TOOLS OF THE TRADE ! CROSSING THE POND Facebook Twitter Pinterest Tumblr LinkedIn Foursquare YouTub