S3 Int2 Geography
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of S3 Int2 Geography
2. 3. Course Content
Unit 1: Physical Environments
Unit 2: Human Environments
Unit 3: Environmental Interaction
Development and Health
Assessments: NAB (National Assessment Bank), Class tests, Reports/Investigation, PowerPoint/group work presentation.
4. Contact Details
5. Things to bring to your lesson
Intermediate 2 Geography Textbook
all will be checked on Tuesday 1st of September.
6. S3 CourseHigher GeographyIntermediate 2
7. Just like in S2, we study crowded human landscapes
8. and empty physical landscapes
9. First to Loch Lomond and its National Park, a wonderful physical landscape to study
10. The islands in Loch Lomond mark an important Scottish geographical boundary separating Highland Scotland from Lowland Scotland
11. Not just the physical landscape, but the land uses are special and worthy of study, including the golf course where fees are up to 40,000 per year.
12. Tourism is a major land use and below is officially the most popular attraction in Scotland Loch Lomond Shores
13. Landscapes change all the time and we need to be up-to-date. We look at controversial developments, such as here at Loch Sloy and if you are wondering what is controversial .
14. This is what is controversial some say that the hydro-electric power station spoils the view
15. And there are many other big issues. After the Houses of Parliament and 10 Downing Street, Glen Douglas below is the 3rd most important target for any country wishing to attack Britain. Why?
16. Once you have understood that part of the geography of Scotland, we next go to somewhere a little different
17. We are off to the seaside, ice-creams and Punch and Judy
18. This is Dorset, a geologists paradise and, therefore, our paradise as well
19. especially Lyme Regis, the fossil capital of the UK
20. But Dorset has other natural attractions as well, which need to be studied and explained.
21. But the weather isnt always nice, otherwise you would not get those landforms
22. It also has the 4th most expensive area of landin the world, after New York, London and Hong Kong the Sandbanks peninsula
23. And then straight to Paris,and of all the exciting sights there, we are going to be looking at .....
24. bicycles you can work out why
25. We even try to work out the meaning of all the road signs
26. and, of course, the happiest place in the world another controversial land use to study
27. And into the countryside to look at some very famous rural land uses surrounding Paris
28. The vineyards of Champagne
29. Another exciting geographical study this year these are not just any cows
30. Their milk is used in making the famous Brie cheese, just east of Paris
31. Off next to study more exotic places a city of 18 million people
32. So it can become a little crowded - we find out why so many people want to live in Mumbai
33. And to the south of Mumbai is the village of Nitte, where our partner school is found
34. We look at farming around Nitte
35. And how to plant rice in flooded fields on hillsides
36. By March we have travelled at hurricane speed to Central America.Its time to look at different types of natural disaster.
37. We investigate what causes hurricanes and especially the causes and devastating effects of Hurricane Mitch
38. Caused not just by the wind but, as here, the appalling floods which submerged most of Honduras
39. We look at accurate and less accurate ways of forecasting hurricanes.
40. And then further west to Mt. St. Helens, and the causes and effects of its eruption in 1980
41. and we finish the course quite appropriately with the geography of death
42. and why people live longer in some areas of the world than others
43. Sometime at the end of the year there is a field-trip to either
44. Iceland or, shown below, Switzerland or maybe somewhere else
45. What about a bike ride to an old lake in Bolivia, now just salt?
46. So Geography in S3 is similar to that in S2. If you like Geography in S2 you will enjoy S3. If you dont, you wont. But it wont be boring. We dont do Boring .
47. Especially this boring in Mexico
48. We dont think Geography in S3 will be too painful, unless ..
49. Unless, you are inclined to be lazy