Research and planning 2014
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Research and planning 2014
- Research and Planning What skills did we learn about the importance of R&P? G325: Section A: Theoretical Perspectives in Media Question 1a)
- 7 Research and Planning areas to consider: 1. Types of research 2. Advantages/Disadvantages of sources 3. Organisation of research 4. Organisation of planning materials 5. Presentation of planning materials 6. How research and planning has informed your practical work
- Why is Research and Planning Important? Research Planning
- Learning research skills from AS to A2 Primary Primary research is material uniquely gathered/generated by you/your group: textual analysis of similar genres through internet/TV/magazines/student exemplars audience feedback (staff and peers) Questionnaires vox pops, opinion polls Secondary research - Secondary research is where youve read and used existing writing: Books Websites Newspapers Blogs Articles Theories e.g. Goodwin, Post Modernisn Class notes Viewing music videos, websites, digipack, adverts. 1. Types of Research
- 2. Advantages and Disadvantages of sources The focus is on SKILL progression and changes in methods from AS to A2. You need to think about what you learned about the advantages/disadvantages of: Expense/Cost how much did the research cost? Books? Magazines? Accessibility Was the research easy to find? Time Was it time consuming? Reliability was the research measured to be consistent did you find a trustworthy source, was it another students work? Accuracy were the facts and figures correct? Did your audience feedback results provide a fair sample of overall opinions? Bias textual analysis can be bias as it is subjective did you complete enough research to overcome this? Were any secondary sources biased? Validity was there a link between the particular research and final product? Was there a strong indication that this research affected the outcome of your work? Usefulness how relevant was this to your project (see validity). OR did any of your research methods prove to be completely useless and why?
- 3. Organisation of Research You used your blog to organise ALL of your research. What skills did you learn about organising and referencing materials? (Remember if your research isnt referenced correctly then you will not get full marks labels1) How did your skills of organisation develop from AS and A2? E.g. If it was the first time you used blogger at AS did you find it easier to blog at A2?
- Organisation of time, personnel and equipment: Did you complete on time? Did you meet deadlines? What are the pros and cons of organising personnel? What have you learned about communication between personnel? Did your knowledge of production schedules grow? What could you have done better? What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Working individually or as part of a group: What did you learn about individual and team work? What are the pros and cons? What main things have you learned about group work at AS in terms of planning your product? Advantages/Disadvantages of working alone for A2
- 4. Organisation of Planning Materials How did you organise your planning materials? Did you utilise the blog more at A2 level than at AS? How did you follow your storyboards what did you understand about changes to be made? Did all members have copies of production schedules and storyboards? Did you complete diaries and/or progression so far posts? Why was this important in terms of planning both pieces of coursework? Have you used any of the research and planning skills in other products?
- How did you present your primary and secondary research on your blogs? We are talking about enhancing CREATIVITY and USE OF DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY. Did your presentation of audience feedback for example become more creative through your increased use of digital technology available for embedding on the blogs e.g animoto? Slideshare etc? 5. Presentation of Research and Planning
- 6. How your Research and Planning has informed your practical production How did your research into genre contribute to your production work? How did your research into audience contribute to your production work? How did your research into institutions responsible for the production and regulation of the media influence your production work? What pre-production planning techniques did you employ (scripting, storyboarding, shot-listing, flat-planning etc.)? How effective was your planning how did it help you in the production phase? What did you learn from planning your first production that helped you to improve your planning for the second? How did you use audience feedback to influence your production work while it was in progress?
- A2 Coursework - Homework Look back at your A2 blog and all of the posts you have labelled as research and planning. Look at the Check List (below in this post) did you complete all of the research and planning tasks specified? Make a list of the primary research you carried out for your music video and ancillary tasks. Make a list of the secondary research you carried out for your music video and ancillary tasks. You might need to look back at your blogs to identify theorists, articles etc you read. What are the pros and cons of the primary and secondary research you have carried out?
- Comparison Compare the extent of the research/planning you carried out for your AS and A2 coursework. To what extent have your research/planning skills improved? Explain and support your answer with evidence.
- Identify specific aspects of your productions that have been impacted by your planning and research. Productions
- What research skills have you developed in the last two years (think blogs, textual analysis, audience research etc)? What methods have you used? How have they impacted your work? Are there examples of time when your research has not been effective? What effect did research have on your work? Did you change your plans? Why? Research Skills
- What made up planning? What methods did you used? Year 12 Year 13 How have they impacted your work? Year 12 (good/bad) Year 13 (good/bad) Are there examples of times when your planning has been poor? IN YEAR 12????? What effect did planning have on your work? Year 12 (good/bad) Year 13 (good/bad) How have your planning skills develop? Did you change your plans? Why? Planning Skills
- Describe how your research and planning skills have developed over the last two years and what impact this had on your work. Question