Public speaking self-help - tips for confident speaking
Click here to load reader
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Public speaking self-help - tips for confident speaking
- 1.Public speaking self-help Tips for confident speaking Katie Streten Imagination
- A bit about me
- All the self help you need!
- A word about meetings
3. A bit about me
- Head of Strategy in Imagination/ Digital
- 2 presentation courses
- LAMDA Spoken English Intermediate qualification
- Hate asking questions once a speaker has finished
4. Addressing fears1 Everyone will think Im a fraud
- You have been asked for your opinion/ to speak
- the fear of being found out for being a bit rubbish. Armando Ianucci
5. Addressing fears 1 No one will be interested
- They are there!
- You have been asked to speak
- Think aboutthemwhat can yougivethem
6. How to prepare
- Prepare Write your script out long hand
- Read it to a friend, partner or yourself(repeat ad nauseam)
- Write card notes
- Highlight key moments
- Dont practice too much!
7. Image is everything
- Bullet points
- Interesting pictures
- Yourself dress appropriately
8. Make everyone else relax!
- The first thing you should do Smile
- Secondly say hello
- Jokes If in doubt use other peoples
9. Make yourself relax!
- Dont look at the crowd!
- Pick 3 spots to the left, middle and back
- Place your mate at the back to smile at you!
- Speak slowly
10. Make it feel more like a conversation
- The audience hate it too!
- Move your arms at waist height
- Dont have a rigid script
11. Addressing fears 3 Dont fear the speaker
- Most other people are thinking exactly the same as you
- Its their problem not yours
- You are helping someone in the audience probably a woman
12. A word about meetings
- Butt in, dont wait
- Men are not women
- Your point might not be as irrelevant as you think
- People genuinely want to hear what you have to say
- Think about your audience what can you give them?
- Butt in and believe that at least one person needs you to ask this question you!
- If all else fails..
- Please try and remember the full detail of 1 speech you have heard in your life
exactly. 15. Katie Streten
Any questions? Be brave!