Click here to load reader
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Population pyramids
2. How do population pyramids help us learn about population? 3. 4. 5. Population pyramids are used to show information about the age and gender (sex) of people in a specific country. Male Female Population in millions In this country there is a high Birth Rate There is also a high Death Rate. Which country do you think this pyramid represents?Why? 6. In some LEDCs the government is encouraging couples to have smaller families.This means the birth rate has fallen. 7. The largest category of people were born about 40 years ago. In this country there is a low Birth Rate and a low Death Rate. Which country does this pyramid represent?Why do you think this? Male Female Population in millions In this country the number of people in each age group is about the same. 8. Population in millions Male Female In this country the birth rate is decreasing. In the future the elderly people will make up the largest section of the population in this country. This is happening more and more in many of the world s richer countries. 9. Male Female Population in thousands This country has a large number of temporary workers.These are people who migrate here especially to find a job. Why does this evidence suggest this? 10. 11. Population pyramid for Mozambique. Population pyramid for Iceland.
- What type of countries are these?
12. What happens next? 13. 14. What is likely to happen to Japan s population in the future? Why does this matter? 15. ? 16. ? 17. ? 18. Challenge Yourself When you have finished; Find out some background information on each country and add this to your presentation. Concentrate on facts and figures which you can use to compare the countries such as % of the children at school, type of jobs available, how rich or poor (GDP per capita.) 19. Population Structure
- The population pyramid is a good way to predict countries future changes or needs.
- We can predict these by looking at thedependency ratioof different age groups