Playing Games with Your Career
Embed Size (px)
Uh oh. I was asked to give career advice. Basic theme: "Find the fun, and the job's a game."
Transcript of Playing Games with Your Career
- PLAYING GAMESWITH YOURCAREERSTEPHEN P. ANDERSON
- JUST FOR FUN:List as many words as you can answering the question: Why do people love/leave a job?Only use words that start with the letter PPayProjectsetc.
- STEPHEN P. ANDERSON poetpainter.com I help businesses with@stephenanderson Product Strategy & Design needs
- My Book!How to get tofirst base withour users.The book is divided into four sections: AESTHETICS, BEAUTY, AND BEHAVIOR PLAYFUL SEDUCTION THE SUBTLE ART OF SEDUCTION THE DATING GAME
- I know it is not the usual type of talk that you do, butBrian Sullivan
- explore new ideas and skills... make lots of use worlds of different things based on activities fantasy to inspire and objects already familiar a vital part of the creative process is to make something learn how things are madetry out your own ideas learn from our failures experiment express creativity by drawing pictures, writing stories play on their own... or with a group of real friends inspiration for creativity comes from many different sourceslook outside your own experience versions of everyday things allow children to create their own worlds
- have to work work
- (MESSAGE RECEIVED, LOUD AND CLEAR.)
- PLAYING GAMESWITH YOURCAREER
- ASSUMPTIONS:1. Job vs Career
- Be lo yal to your profession.
- ASSUMPTIONS:1. Job vs Career2. Creative services
- ASSUMPTIONS:1. Job vs Career2. Creative services3. Do something you love
- WORK AS PLAYPLAYER TYPESPLAYERSWORLDSGOALSCHOOSING TOPLAY
- VIEWINGWORK ASPLAY
- Once the basic skills have been mastered,designers can use their imaginations toexplore and create their own masterpieces.
- The more things designers knowabout, the more they can use them increative thinking and play
- Gain experience in as many specialties as possible to round out your understanding of the moving partsJustin Talericoco-founder Ion Interactive http://www.commarts.com/insights/moving-upstream.html
- The fewer materials and choicesavailable, the more imagination isneeded by the maker.
- What p erson wouldyou like to be like inyour c areer? Howwould the y do your job?
- Do you think you ever grow out ofimaginary play?
- Googles founders Larry Pageand Sergei Brin Amazons Jeff Bezos Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales Julia Child rapper Sean P.Diddy Combsvideogame pioneer Will Wright
- the Montessori educationalapproach might be the surest routeto joining the creative elite http://blogs.wsj.com/ideas-market/2011/04/05/the-montessori-maa/
- A number of the innovative entrepreneurs also went to Montessori schools, where they learned to follow their curiosityhttp://blogs.wsj.com/ideas-market/2011/04/05/the-montessori-maa/
- Similarly, Amazons culture breathesexperimentation and discovery. !Mr. Bezosoften compares Amazons strategy ofdeveloping ideas in new markets to plantingseeds or going down blind alleys. !Amazons executives learn and uncoveropportunities as they go. !Many efforts turn outto be dead ends, Mr. Bezos has said, But everyonce in a while, you go down an alley and itopens up into this huge, broad avenue. http://blogs.wsj.com/ideas-market/2011/04/05/the-montessori-maa/
- Embrace serendipity
- most highly creative achievers dont begin with brilliant ideas, they discover them.http://blogs.wsj.com/ideas-market/2011/04/05/the-montessori-maa/
- Montessori taught me the joy of discovery Its all about learning on your terms, rather than a teacher explaining stu to you. SimCity comes right out of Montessorivideogame pioneer Will Wright http://blogs.wsj.com/ideas-market/2011/04/05/the-montessori-maa/
- We both went to Montessori school, and I think it was part of that training of not following rules and orders, and being self-motivated, questioning whats going on in the world, doing things a little bit dierently.Googles founders Larry Pageand Sergei Brin
- Ive always felt that theres a certain kind of important pioneering that goes on from an inventor like Thomas EdisonAmazons Jeff Bezos
- SECRET KEY #1
- SECRET KEY #1Curiosity
- What are you excitedand curi ous about?
- makingthings fun -VS-finding the joy
- Find th e joy in every project
- How does workbecome play? Most importantly, nd the thing that ignites your passion. When you tap into that energy, work becomes play and you enjoy every minute of it. Once youre in that mode, youre destined to do great things. Justin Talerico co-founder Ion Interactive http://www.commarts.com/insights/moving-upstream.html
- WORK AS PLAYPLAYER TYPESPLAYERSWORLDSGOALSCHOOSING TO PLAYTHE GAMEPLAN
- PLAYER TYPES
- What ki nds of gamesdo you most enjoy?
- When have you beenhappies t? List 5-10moments.
- me, c. 1990 me, c. 1994
- When have you beenhappies t? List 5-10moments. What kind s of work excite you most?(Not anything spec ific, but rather theunderlying nature of the activity)
- What excites you most:Technology, People, or Design? http://www.poetpainter.com/thoughts/article/developing-a-career-growth-plan-at-geniant
- Optimizer - Innovato