phase transformation reaction
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of phase transformation reaction
- 1. PRESENTED BY ABHIJEET CHOUDHARI
- 2. Three Phase Reactions Peritectic, at 1492C, with low % of Carbon in alloys. (almost no engineering importance). Eutectic, at 1147C, with 4.3% Carbon, alloys called cast irons. Eutectoid, at 727C with eutectoid composition of 0.8% Carbon, having two- phase mixture (ferrite & cementite). They are steels.
- 3. Eutectic, Eutectoid, & Peritectic: Peritectic - liquid and one solid phase transform to a 2nd. solid phase Solid1 + Liquid Solid2 + L Eutectic - liquid transforms to two solid phases L + Eutectoid one solid phase transforms to two other solid phases Solid1 Solid2 + Solid3 + Fe3C +
- 4. Eutectoid reaction Redistribution of carbon by diffusion Austenite 0.76 wt% C Ferrite - 0.022 wt% C Cementite - 6.70 wt% C Pearlitey+ Fe3C
- 5. Simplified Iron-Carbon phase diagram austenite pearlite (mixture of ferrite & cementite)
- 6. Nucleation & growth of pearlite
- 7. Schematic picture of the formation and growth of pearlite
- 8. Ferrite () Cementite
- 9. Principal phases of steel and their Characteristics
- 10. SUMMARY Basically in Eutectoid reactions, a single solid converts into two different solids while cooling at Eutectoid temperature. eg: Fe-C, Cu-Sn, Cu-Al, Zn-Al, Al-Mn, etc.
- 11. ANY QUARIES.......
- 12. Referances.... Material science & Metallurgy By V.D. Kodgire, S.V. Kodgire. Google, Wekipedia.
- 13. THANK YOU!