PETITION FOR WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS Chapter 5: Docketing the Lead Event 1
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of PETITION FOR WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS Chapter 5: Docketing the Lead Event 1
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- PETITION FOR WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS Chapter 5: Docketing the Lead Event 1
- Slide 3
- Select Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus from the Available Events menu. Clicking on the word Petition places it in the Selected Event box. 2
- Slide 4
- Select the party you are representing in this case and click NEXT. 3
- Slide 5
- ECF displays this screen when the attorney filing the document is appearing in this case for the first time. This will add the attorney's information to the docket and activate electronic notice. Leave all boxes checked and Click NEXT.
- Slide 6
- Select the party or parties you are filing against. To select multiple parties, hold down the Ctrl key and click on each of the desired parties. Once you have selected your parties, click NEXT. 5
- Slide 7
- Attach the Petition All documents must be in PDF format and cannot exceed 10 MB (megabytes) in size. Click on the Main Document Browse button to begin. Navigate to the appropriate directory and file on your computer to locate the Petition. Make sure you are attaching the correct one. Double click on the file name to upload the file to CM/ECF. 6
- Slide 8
- The petition will appear in the Filename window box. 7
- Slide 9
- The filing fee for a Habeas Corpus petition is $5.00. Click NEXT to continue to Pay.gov to pay the filing fee. 8
- Slide 10
- In Pay.gov, enter payment information about your debit card, credit card or bank account and click Continue.
- Slide 11
- Complete the authorization and click Submit Payment.
- Slide 12
- The docket text of your transaction is displayed. Modify the docket text by either the drop down menu or the description text box and click NEXT.
- Slide 13
- This is the final text of the official court record. Pressing the NEXT button commits this transaction. You will have no further opportunity to modify this transaction if you continue.
- Slide 14
- This is your receipt, the Notice of Electronic Filing. You will also receive e-mail notification of this filing with a link to the document.