Period 1 Warming up and Reading I Unit 2 English around the world.
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Period 1 Warming up and Reading I Unit 2 English around the world.
Period 1 Warming up and Reading I Unit 2 English around the world
In an international talk/meeting
In schoolsOn the air(on TV, on the radio)
1.Can you name some countries in which English is spoken?
Warming upRead the passage in warming up, and answer the following questions.
U.K.U.S.A.CanadaAustraliaNew Zealand South AfricaEnglish-speaking countries
English Around the Worldthe USACanadaNew ZealandAustraliaSouth Africathe United KingdomIreland India
British EnglishAmerican English&
1.Are the English in those countries the same? 2.can you give me some examples?
The differences between British English and American English.vocabularyspellingpronunciationautumn falltyphoon tornadoI think I guesscolour colorcentre centertraveller travelerdance [da:ns] dance[dns]not [not] not [na:t]
ChineseBrEAmEliftelevatorpetrolgasflatapartmentautumnfallundergroundsubwayuniversitycollegerubbishgarbagedustbintrash canholidayvacationfortnighttwo weeks
petrolflat colorliftrubberhonorpicturesundergrounderaser gasapartmentelevatorhonourcolourmoviessubway Match the words that have the same meaning.
official voyage native present gradually vocabulary New words,,
actually latter identity fluent Singapore Malaysia frequently
Please write down the main idea of each paragraph.Para. 1:
Para. 5:The _________ of the English language in the world.Native speakers can __________ each other even if they dont speak the_____ kind of English. All languages change when _______ meet and ____________ with one another.English is spoken as a _______ language or ________ language in _______ and ______.developmentunderstandculturescommunicateforeignsecondAfrica Asia same
Development of English
the end of the 16th century the next century today
Why does English change over time?
Because of cultural communication.
Find out the characteristics of each time according to the time clue.
The time ADEL was written In the 1600s laterGermanless like German; more like FrenchShakespeares English American English Australian English
Besides the countries where English is used as a native language, where else is English used as a foreign language?
Will Chinese English become one of the world Englishes? Only time will tell.
Read the text carefully again and decide whether the statements are true or false and explain why.
Exercise 1 on page 10.
Predict: Read the title the road to modern English and predict () what the passage is mainly about?
Language points for Reading I
1.There be ,be .,.There one book and two pens on the desk.There two pens and one book on the desk.
2.more than1. , over2. ,
Mary and Amy are more than classmates.
3. because of because, He came to work late because he got up late. He came to work late because of getting up late.
3. include 1 ,,,.e.g.: Your duties will include cleaning the room. 2include in, on, among e.g.: He includes me among his friends. Im included in the team.
1.There are ten people in the bus, including ten children.2.Five people were injured in the accident, one driver included.IncludeContainHold,
4.either ... or... neither ...nor...,.
have hasEither the teacher or the students been ill.
Neither the students nor the teacher been ill.
Close your book and fill in the blank1.____16th century, about____ people spoke English. 2. Today, more people speak English as their first or foreign language______.3.China may ____of English speakers.
5. At the end of ...;...(, By the end of ...() In the end ,,of (,)We had finished unit one by the end of last week.He understood me in the end.
6. even if (1) even if ( = even though ): in spite of the fact; no matter whether (2) even if even though e.g: Even if he is poor, she loves him. (=He may be poor, yet she loves him.) ( Even ) though he is poor, she loves him. ( = He is poor, yet she loves him.)
Come up,(vi.) Come about: happenCome across: find or meet accidentallyCome outOur National Day is coming up soon.How did this come about?I came across an old friend yesterday.When will his new book come out?7.Would you please come up to my flat.
come up withI came up with them as they were rounding the corner.We weren't able to come up with any new suggestions. He's come up with a great idea.
8.Actually, it was based more on German than present day English.
1.Present adj ,.He is the present President.Present adj :A lot of students were present at the meeting.2.Present n. , I dont need the book at present.3. Present v. ,Present prizesPresent sth to sb=present sb with sth
9. In the 1600s, Shakespeare made use of a wider vocabulary than ever before.17,..the,s,earlylate
In the 1780s
In the early/late 1980s
10 . Shakespeare was able to make use of a wider vocabulary than ever before. make (good/full/no) use of We could make good use of our resources. Every minute should be made good use of.
11. India has a very large number of fluent English speakers a number of A number of people have came. the number of
a large/ great/ good number of, a good/ great many, dozens of, scores of, quite a few The number of homeless people has increased.
1. Youd better make full use _____ your time.2. You will find the hospital _____ the end of the road.3. The church is close _____ the school.4. We have friends all _____ the world. 5. As everybody knows, China has the largest number _____ people.6. _____ the 1980s, he went to America. ofattooverofIn