Open the drawbridge for A lesson meant for a king! By: Rodney Miller
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Open the drawbridge for A lesson meant for a king! By: Rodney Miller
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- Open the drawbridge for A lesson meant for a king! By: Rodney Miller
- Slide 3
- What is a castle What is a castle Castle vs. Cathedral Castle vs. Cathedral A Castles Anatomy A Castles Anatomy Windsor Castle Windsor Castle Building a castle Building a castle Summary Summary Glossary Glossary References References
- Slide 4
- castle is a defensive structure inspired by earlier structures, such as Roman forts, and lived on from the 9 th century to the 13 th century. Early castles were built with sticks and mud. Also used to house the leader of the civilization. Years of age has given growth of vegetation on the castle stone.
- Slide 5
- Both are great works of architecture! Castles were built very battle-proof and a bit larger than cathedrals Cathedrals were built for no warfare services, and had a design of their own UNLIKE
- Slide 6
- Moat- A ditch that surrounded/protected the castle Curtain wall- Wall that protected the keep (tower) and bailey Bailey- The house of the dynasty Moats and curtain walls were built because of the need of protection, and baileys were built relative to the need of a rulers housing.
- Slide 7
- Windsor Castle A: The Round Tower B: The Upper Ward, The Quadrangle (as this courtyard is known) C: The State Apartments D: Private Apartments, overlooking the East terrace E: South Wing, overlooking The Long Walk F: Lower Ward G: St George's Chapel H: Horseshoe Cloister K: King Henry VIII Gate (principal entrance) L: The Long Walk M: Norman Gate N: North Terrace O: Edward III Tower T: The Curfew Tower Windsor Castle is the largest castle measuring at 484,000 square feet (44,965 square meters). Now it has the modern job of being one of the houses of the British Monarch.
- Slide 8
- Building a castle took a very, very, VERY long time! First-Find a place to build Next-Select the material Then-Call in the peasant workers(3000) Finally- Build!!! (note: may take 10+ years)
- Slide 9
- Castles are defensive structures that can be compared to cathedrals, and more elaborate than just a king,a throne, and some knights. Important to note, castles remain as great works of architecture and inspiration to all of us.
- Slide 10
- Structure-a thing constructed; a complex building constructed of many parts Cathedral-any of various important churches. Dynasty-a sequence of rulers from the same family Monarch-a single ruler of a nation, such as a king, queen, or emperor Peasant- a person lower in the social class; commonly a worker
- Slide 11
- Thanks To: Wikipedia Google Images The Middle Ages by Giovanni Caselli Dictionary.com