Multichannel me - Chasing after the multichannel user
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Multichannel me - Chasing after the multichannel user
- 1. Multichannel meChasing after themultichannel userA user centered approach to design multichannel experiences Gianluca Brugnoli frog design http://twitter.com/lowresolution November 2010
- 2. Where do we start?
- 3. The digital world. Yesterday. This is just a PC This is a web browser and a This is a search web site engine Single device, PC-based, browser centered, web site navigation. The main starting point is a search engine, the destination is a web site.
- 4. The digital world. Today. The ecosystem is wider and open Social network This is still a PC Tablet a twitter client mobile app There is still a search engine Mobile and pervasive, multichannel and multiscreen, application based. The main starting point is a social network, relevant content is found following social connections or a location.
- 5. The digital world. Today. Fragmentation is a necessity Users are mobile and multichannel by nature. To reach them the same content and service must be distributed through multiple touch points, channels and devices. Chasing after the multichannel user, the digital ecosystem gets more and more fragmented.
- 6. A multi channel experience isnot just a technical innovation.It is a natural condition for end users.They live their digitalexperience across multipletouchpoints and situations.The more a digital system isopen and agnostic againstchannels and devices thebetter is for the user. Image: http://www.ickr.com/photos/estherase/340565398
- 7. Example: Google eBooksKeep on reading your favoritebooks, no matter what device youare using and where the content isstored.
- 8. Multiple screens and deviceslive togetherUsers access data, content and services withthe best screen available in that situation
- 9. Example: metamirrorMedia and servicesintegrate and completeeach other
- 10. Example: twitter Word Cup 2010Gathering the real-time tweets tra c during the football matches
- 11. Example: twitter and MTVTracking real-time twitter tra c during the MTV VMA 2010
- 12. Example: frog design TVChatter iPhone app
- 13. Scenario change: the future is mobile and pervasive By 2013, mobile phones will overtake PCs as the most common Web access device worldwide PC installed base forecast, the total number of PCs in use will reach 1.78 billion units in 2013. By 2013, the combined installed base of smartphones and browser-equipped enhanced phones will exceed 1.82 billion units and will be greater than the installed base for PCs thereafter. Mobile Web users are typically prepared to make fewer clicks on a website than users accessing sites from a PC. Although a growing number of websites and Web-based applications o er support for small-form-factor mobile devices, many still do not. Websites not optimized for the smaller-screen formats will become a market barrier for their owners much content and many sites will need to be reformatted/rebuilt.
- 14. Two decades after its birth, the WorldWide Web is in decline, as simpler,sleeker services think apps areless about the searching and moreabout the getting. Maybe The reports about death of the web are greatly exaggerated
- 15. The web is not dead.But another model is rising.Because the screens are smaller, suchmobile tra c tends to be driven byspecialty software, mostly apps,designed for a single purpose. For thesake of the optimized experience onmobile devices, users forgo the general-purpose browser. They use the Net, butnot the Web.Mostly likely the web-browser-centeredmodel wont be the principal way toaccess data and services online.Nevertheless tra c on the internet isexpected to grow over and over.
- 16. The internet tra c has grown. And the channels are multiplying. Email Video Social media Applications Mobile web Web
- 17. The multichannel shopping experience The multichannel shopping User Experience ows on a service platform made of di erent channels and touchpoints. 1. LANDING AND 2. PRODUCT 3. PRODUCT 4. SHOPPING CART 5. ORDER SET UP 6. CRM AND PROMOTION DISCOVERY PRESENTATION MANAGEMENT CHECK OUT SUPPORTWebsiteeMailMobileStoreCall CenterPaper
- 18. The multichannel shopping experience End users build their own experience across the platform, jumping from a channel to another, connecting the available touchpoints. 1. LANDING AND 2. PRODUCT 3. PRODUCT 4. SHOPPING CART 5. ORDER SET UP 6. CRM AND PROMOTION DISCOVERY PRESENTATION MANAGEMENT CHECK OUT SUPPORTWebsiteeMailMobileStoreCall CenterPaper
- 19. Mobile is thebridge betweenonline and in-storeexperience Sources: PSFK Future of Retail and eMarketer
- 20. Shopkick http://www.shopkick.comMobile is thebridge betweenonline and in-storeexperience
- 21. Example: Albert Heijn - Appie shopping assistant.From the web to the grocery store through a mobile app
- 22. New digital servicesand devices arechanging the way weshop within the store
- 23. New digital servicesand devices arechanging the way weshop within the store
- 24. Example: DieselCamStraight from the store to facebook
- 25. Example: Smart Shopping - Intel Point of Sale Kiosk
- 26. Example: Intel Augmented reality retail touchscreen
- 27. Example: Intel Augmented reality retail touchscreen
- 28. Thank you Graziegianluca brugnoli @lowresolution