- 1. Monetizing Museum Websites Allyson Lazar [email_address] February 27, 2009 California Association of Museums
2. Online Revenue Strategies 3.
- Museums need a comprehensive and systematic set of strategies and procedures that can form the basis for a best practices approach for monetizing websites.
- 224 out of 260 websites reviewed required significant work before they would be adequately prepared to provide a positive and fruitful online giving experience to their visitors.
- Amanda Fredrickson-Banks, 2007 unpublished thesis
- What do museums need to learn to successfully monetize their websites?
- From whom can museums learn?
6. Museums Need to Learn the Process of Monetization
- Drive visitors to your website
- Encourage visitors to stay on your website and make purchases, become members or donate money
- Encourage visitors to return
7. Museums Need to Learn how to Address Specific Website Issues
8. Where to Look for Strategies
- Web Standards and Practices
- ePhilanthropy Standards and Practices
- Museum/Nonprofit Standards and Practices
9. SEO Standards and Practices
- SEO = Search Engine Optimization
- Methods for improving the number of visitors to your website.
- Links, Crosslinks, Trackbacks, Mentions
- Google Adwords Grants for Nonprofits
10. Web Standards and Practices
- SSL: Secure Sockets Layer
- TLS: Transport Layer Security
- Protocols that provide security and data integrity for information exchanged over a website
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines:
11. ePhilanthropy Standards and Practices
- ePhilanthropy Code of Ethics
12. Museum/Nonprofit Standards and Practices
- Partnerships and Reciprocal Programs
13. Other Websites
- What are they doing that works?
- What are they doing that doesnt work?
14. FaceBook and Visitor Experience
- Inter-generational dialogue
- Multiple points of entry and engagement
- Fosters, promotes and facilitates discussion