Mental Models and Concept Models
Embed Size (px)
For the Stanford UX for NonDesigners Class
Transcript of Mental Models and Concept Models
- Mental Models & Conceptual Models
- Project Eat Fresh Startup hires YOU to design their new site/App! Their concept: the farmers market delivered to your door! You will make A concept model for the site & for customers A report of top ten findings from user research An IA (navigation and finding sytem) Design two key flows Design homepage and a product page 3
- 4 HOW DO USERS THINK?
- 5 EXERCISE DRAW A MAP FOR A GROCERY STORE
- 6 EXERCISE SHARE
- USERS HAVE SURPRISING MENTAL MODELS.
- EXERCISE 10 MINS 1.Work in a pair 2.Interview each other on how the shop for food and sundries, 5 minutes each 3.Note what you hear 4.Ask about WHAT, WHY and HOW. What do they want? Why do the want it? How do they find it? How often do you shop How do you shop for groceries?
- EXERCISE 1.Regroup into new teams of four 2.Combine your post its with the group 3.Sort into patterns.. Behavior, items sought, etc 4.Place in empathy map How do you shop? 10 MINS http://answers.oreilly.com/topic/1860-gamestorming-empathy-map/
- EXERCISE SHARE
- DOES SAFEWAY SUPPORT YOUR TASKS?
- DOES WHOLE FOODS SUPPORT YOUR TASKS?
- DOES AMAZON SUPPORT YOUR TASKS?
- DOES TRADER JOES SUPPORT YOUR TASKS?
- MENTAL MODELS Behavioral Conflicting Incomplete
- 1 A GAP ANALYSIS HOW COULD WE MAKE A BETTER GROCERY SITE?
- First: sort tasks into groups and name them From Indi Youngs Mental Models
- Next: Gap Analysis! map current content and features to the tasks From Indi Youngs Mental Models
- Next: identify opportunities From Indi Youngs Mental Models
- Next: fill opportunities, or chose to ignore From Indi Youngs Mental Models Outfit picker Casual carpool
- EXERCISE MENTAL MODELS
- EXERCISE 30 MINUTES 1.Work in your teams 2.Each take a grocery store site and spend 10 minutes creating inventory of products on post its 3.Now map the products to the tasks PENCIL PAPER OBJECTIVES
- COMMUNICATE USING CONCEPTUAL MODELS
- 2 We explain things with pictures all the time. How to conceive, how to build
- CONCEPT MODEL: a visual representation of a set of ideas that clarifies their meaning for both the thinker and the audience 2
- CONCEPTUAL MODELS TO COMMUNICATE TO TEAM 2
- User Designer Computer designed by Daniel Shannonfrom The Noun Project Mental model Conceptual model 1. Discover Mental Model 2. Understand system 3. Synthesize into conceptual model System
- Overview of key areas and subareas of Via Andrew Hinton @inkblurt Made for University of Michigan
- How areas of site interlock Via Andrew Hinton @inkblurt Consider conceptual models over sitemaps
- EXERCISE 20 MINUTES Individual 1.Draw a conceptual model for the key areas of the grocery store site, and how they are related to each other 2.Use size, color and shape to communicate. You may want to do a quick sketch first, then a second fuller drawing. PENCIL PAPER
- Conceptual Models to Communicate to Customers
- A conceptual model for understanding the Gulf of Mexico Estuaries Shows how the essential systems are intertwingled. Conceptual models take what users knows and how the system actually works, and builds a bridge between the two so the user can understand.A conceptual model for understanding the Gulf of Mexico Estuaries http://gulfsci.usgs.gov/tampabay/reports/white/model.html
- A conceptual model for explaining a service (mint, roundbuzz)
- Another style of conceptual models used to explain how to
- 3 GOAL
- INVENTORY IDEAS
- UNPACK IDEAS
- 42CONSIDER RELATIONSHIPS
- 45 TEST
- 4 STUDIO CREATE MENTAL & CONCEPTUAL MODELS
- Draw a conceptual model for what can be done on your food delivery site.
- Break out Break into teams of six Compare concept models Discuss your project Make a plan
- 5 Q&A HEADER
- notes This class is rather long. With exercises 3-4 hours. I removed the Indi Young Gap Analysis exercise to get it to two hours. Consider breaking to two classes, one on mental models and one on concept models, each two hours Concept model is very hard to teach how to do. Support with videos. http://www.davegrayinfo.com/visual-thinking-school/ Have class play along step by step. Prerequisite of concept models is a sketching 101 class. Comparing concept models seemed to help prep class for discussing project.