Mass Media and Popular Culture The Study of How the Media Constructs Reality: Do Barbie & Ken...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Mass Media and Popular Culture The Study of How the Media Constructs Reality: Do Barbie & Ken...
- Slide 1
- Mass Media and Popular Culture The Study of How the Media Constructs Reality: Do Barbie & Ken have feelings too?
- Slide 2
- What is Mass Media & Why Should I Care? Mass media is a term used to describe all the media genres that exist in our world around us t.v., magazines, movies, the Internet, etc. Popular culture whats hot in our everyday world, from reading about the latest gossip on Brangelina, wearing skinny jeans, adding more friends to your Facebook page, blogging, googling, surfing the Net, to ordering a skinny latte from Starbucks. So What? Not only does understanding about the mass media affect your grade (hint: there is a section on your provincial exam devoted to the Media), it affects your $$$$$$$!
- Slide 3
- Key Concepts for Decoding Media Messages (Otherwise known as jargon) Codes & Conventions tools that the media uses to construct their message; each type of medium (t.v., ads, film) has its own method of shaping the content and overall affect of that particular type of media. For example: the Marlboro Man cigarette ad that supposedly embodies American West freedom and ruggedness or having a damsel in distress in action movies. Ideology & Values a combination of theories, beliefs, and attitudes that shape our perception of the world, i.e., what values we place on what we see. Industry the media is, after all, a business. Industry refers to the people and corporations making money every time you buy a product, turn on the t.v., radio or computer. Audience me, myself, & I; and, you, yourself, and yours
- Slide 4
- Seeing (& Reading) is Not Necessarily Believing Keep in mind that mass media is about constructing reality. Media products are made to seem real and natural, as if they simply reflect the attitudes and images of our society. The information conveyed by the media has been influenced by sound, language, editing, visuals, and, most importantly, by you, the audience. You are in control of how you process what you see and what you choose not to see.
- Slide 5
- Give Me The Story The Title Is: Dirty, Sexy Money What is this story about? Write page 1 page story to this title. Think about: codes & conventions, industry, ideologies & values, and audience. Pass in written work at the end of class.
- Slide 6
- What is This Picture Advertising?
- Slide 7
- The Real Ad Physicians Against Land Mines