- 1. RECOGNITION OF THE CITY MUSEUM OF LJUBLJANAA STREET RESEARCH INLJUBLJANA AUGUST-SEPTEMBER 2008
- to get aprofile of potential visitors or non-visitors of CMLon the basis of the daily visitors of Ljubljana,
- to learn the recognition ofCML and Faces of Lj among city visitorscompared to other city museums and galleries,
- to find out thereasons for visiting (or not visiting)the museum,
- to find out what would potentiallymotivate non-visitorsto visit the CML,
- where and how can the daily visitors of Ljubljanaget information on programmes , performances and events in museums and galleries,
- what donon-visitorsthink aboutmuseums and galleries in general.
- inform all museum staff on the research findings,
- take decisions based on research recommendations.
2. RECOGNITION OF CML RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- Street interviewing with a standardized questionnaire
- Target group: daily visitors of Ljubljana (over 18) locals, daily commuters, tourists
- Surveying time: 20 August 1 October 2008
- Surveying location: bus and train station, Preeren Square, Ljubljana Castle, Tivoli parking area, Mercator Center and Supernova Rudnik malls, Ljubljanas Fuine district, students campus .
- The statistical treatment of results using the SPSS program descriptive and correlational analysis
3. RECOGNITION OF CML RESEARCH FINDINGS Profile of potential CML visitors and non-visitors
- most of the interviewed daily visitors of Ljubljana (80%) have not visited the CML in the last 12 months where:
- more than half (60%) have already heard of the CML .
- Significant differences relating to:
- AGE: the CML ismore likely to be recognized in higher age groups 55% among 18-36 years old, 64% among 37-46 years old and almost of those aged 47-67;
- EDUCATION: the CML isless likely to be recognized among those with higher education ;
- RESIDENCE: more than half (60%) are residents of Ljubljana,a third (31%) are foreigners .
- a fifth (21%) have never heard of the CML
- Significant differences relating to :
- SEX:a third of men (29%), which is twice as much as women ;
- AGE: a quarter (25%) of young people from 18 to 36 years old, in higher age groups the percentage drops to 18% and 13%
- EDUCATION: small differences, the most (a quarter) with higher and university education, the least (16%) with high-school education
- SOCIAL STATUS: small differences, the unemployed stand out with more than a quarter (35%)
- RESIDENCE: expected over a half are foreigners (64 . 5%) , 11 . 7% are Slovenes from elsewhere than Lj and 7 . 4% are residents of Ljubljana.
- Half of the daily visitors of the city (50 . 5%) knows its location. Over 80% of non-visitors answered near Krianke.
The graph indicates that 80% of passers-by know the CML and 20% do not. 4. RECOGNITION OF CML RESEARCH FINDINGS A COMPARISON OF CML RECOGNITION WITH OTHER MUSEUMS AND GALLERIES OF LJUBLJANA
- The comparison reveals a similar recognition, only that compared to the CML, 10% more of the interviewed have not heard of SEM. The ratio is similar when comparing the National Museum of Contemporary History and the Technical Museum of Slovenia.
- The National Gallery has higher recognition rates: it has the lowest percentage of those who have never heard of it (10%) and almost double the percentage of those who have visited it (38%) in comparison with the CML (20%) .
5. RECOGNITION OF CML RESEARCH FINDINGS RECOGNITION OF THE EXHIBITION FACES OF LJUBLJANA IN COMPARISON WITH OTHER EXHIBITIONS
- The exhibition FACES OF LJUBLJANA is lesser known among the daily visitors of Ljubljana. Almost have never heard of it, almost a third have heard of it and only 6% have visited it.
- Comparisons with two other exhibitions at the NG and CD, taking place at the same time: Faces and Pharaonic Renaissance were poorly visited (less than 10%), while Slovene Impressionists in the National Gallery were the most frequently visited (20%) .
6. RECOGNITION OF CML RESEARCH FINDINGS MOTIVATIONS FOR VISITING
- Non-visitors chose from a pre-set list
- among the interesting kinds of exhibitions they most frequently chose:
- 72.4%(almost 3/4) art exhibitions ,
- 65.5%(over a half) exhibitions on contemporary history and the present ,
- 63.5%(over a half) presentations of stories about townspeople and urban communities ;
- 76% ( over three quarters) concerts and other music events ,
- The research has shown that with the ageing of the interviewed sample, the interest in stories of townspeople and communities increases .
7. RECOGNITION OF CML RESEARCH FINDINGS REASONS FOR VISITING OR NOT VISITING THE MUSEUM
- over a third of non-visitors (39 . 7%) are drawn to the museum because of history and ancient objects , while other reasons remain less important with less than a fifth .
- only a quarter of all daily visitors of Ljubljana hadnt visited a museum in the last 12 months because they dont have time, have to work, because they are not interested or because of illness, children or old age.
- on the web less than (67%),
- at tourist centres by half less(31%),
- in national newspapers less than 1/5 (18%).
- A ll other sources of information less than 1/5 of the interviewed: guidebooks 5%, friends, acquaintances and other people 4 . 6%, in museums 2 . 5%, flyers, leaflets, brochures 2%, by phone 1% .
- F oreigners look for information at tourist centres twice as often (45%)as the residents of Ljubljana and other Slovene cities (20%) .
CML RECOGNITION RESEARCH FINDINGS WHERE TO LOOK FOR INFORMATION ON MUSEUMS AND GALLERIES 9. CML RESEARCH FINDINGS OPINIONS OF NON-VISITORS ON MUSEUMS AND GALLERIES
- a favourable attitude and positive opinion on M/G
- the desire for more information on M/G, a better access and openness
10. CML RECOGNITION CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- the City Museum of Ljubljana is fairly well known in comparison with other selected museums and galleries of Ljubljana only the National Gallery is better known
- however, the CMLs main product and trademark FACES OF LJUBLJANA is somewhat lesser known
- to devise a special marketing strategy with added values periodic exhibitions, events and innovative interactive displays for :
- tourists from Slovenia and abroad
- the young up to 40 years old
- those with high formal education, and
11. CML RECOGNITIONCONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PROMOTION:
- the CML should make better use of web releases on upcoming programs and events
- daily city visitors from Slovenia and abroad should be offered more flyers and programmes at tourist info centres , improvised stands and in the city streets
- arrange with partners in the tourism sector for group visits of part of the permanent exhibition Faces (basement, film ).
- establish a street signalling system for the pedestrians (in the context of placing signs to the citys attractions) that would lead tourists from the tourist zone of the Ljubljanica riverside to the CML
- boost the programmes promotion in local and free daily newspapers
12. CML RECOGNITION CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- the topic of identity from the recent history of Ljubljana
- urban stories of individuals and groups the elderly visitors are especially interested in the subject ,
- major blockbuster art exhibitions of Slovene and foreign artists ,
- projects that update the city materially, spiritually and culturally
- TO CUSTOMIZE PHYSICAL, SENSOR AND COMMUNICATION ACCESS
- from researchers to people with special needs ;
- from individuals to groups, families, tourists, pupils